Chapter 1

The first time you met Steven Grant, he was the one that spotted you, not the other way round. You were in a bookshop along the shore of regents canal – the gentle waves, roaring fire, and cosy atmosphere were a perfect triad to sit and read. The owner was an old man, gentle spirited and never one to forget a face. So, when you showed up at the shop on a dreary Monday morning, he greeted you by name despite you only having visited twice, and ushered you in to, what was in his opinion, his comfiest armchair, hanging up your sodden rain jacket for you. Ten minutes later, a cup of tea in your hand, and you were absolutely ensconced in a book, not noticing when a second person entered the shop, browsing the shelves.

When the chapter came to an end, you gently shut the book, raised it up to your nose and took a deep breath.

"Good book?" the owner asked and you nodded dreamily, placing it on the counter. "There's nothing like the smell of an old book."

"Vellichor," you and a voice said at the same time, and you turned to see a young man standing behind you, a pile of books in his hands. His jacket was covered in raindrops, black curls dripping on the carpet. Yet his hands were bone dry and he held the books far from his body as not to damage them. You smiled at him with a nod and he glanced down shyly, fingers fumbling with the edge of the pages. He was cute, you thought, but his introverted demeanour made you think he probably didn't realise, and neither did most others.

"Pardon me?" the owner said.

"Vellichor," the man repeated. The owners face continued to be one of confusion so you shed some light.

"The pensive nostalgia and temporality of used bookstores; the feeling evoked by the scent of old books or paper," you said, and the awestruck look the man gave you made you blush.

"Exactly. I saw you smellin' the book, that's all," he said, looking slightly nervous. 

"Interesting," the owner said, "never heard that one before." He took the book and slid it into a brown paper bag. "£7 please." You rummaged about in your bag, and then your face fell and you groaned.

"I'm so sorry, I forgot my purse," you sighed. "I'm starting a new job today at the British Museum, guess I'm a bit nervous. Haven't had the clearest head."

"I can reserve it for you if you want to stop by tomorrow," he said and a bright grin spread across your face.

"Really? Thank you so much," you said, throwing your bag over your shoulder. "See you tomorrow!" you called and you left the boat, heading to your new job.

You were met at the entrance to the museum by a blonde, angry looking woman, and within seconds, her open mouthed gum chewing was irritating you. But, you held your tongue as she introduced herself as Donna, and led you to the staff room at the back of the museum.

"Belongings you leave here," she said, pointing at the lockers., "toilets are down the hallways on the left. Oh, and don't expect much company; your co-worker Steven, e's a useless slob, always showing up late n' all."

"Oh," you said. "Thanks for the heads up." You dropped off your bag and rushed to follow Donna out the room and to the gift shop desk.

"You work here. Stock shelves and sell sweets. Every so often you'll be on inventory which means finishing late," Donna said. "Any problem?"

"Not at all," you answered. "Just glad to be working here." She eyed you up and down judgmentally, this obviously wasn't her first choice in job. As you were pinning on your badge, you heard frantic footsteps and Donna's loud sigh.

"10 minutes late Stevie," she said. "Letting your co-worker down before you've even met." You glanced up and the man, Steven, standing in front of you, was the same one who you'd met a half hour prior in the bookshop.