Chapter 27

"You're taking the piss," Layla said, when you couldn't find the words. She was stunned, but not as much as you were. Your mouth opened and closed as though you were imitating Gus as you stared until your eyes watered.

"He's not," this man, Jake, answered, a mischievous grin on his face. You didn't like how different he made their face look. There was something scarily unknown about it. You took a hesitant step forward, relying on the walking stick now more than ever, and as you looked down to place it sturdily, you saw Steven's reflection shouting at you from the reflection of a flooded storm drain. But you couldn't hear him.

"I can't hear you," you breathed, leaning down. "Why can't I--"

"--Jake is stronger than the two who infest his mind," Khonshu said, treating Marc as he always treated Steven. "He keeps them quiet when I ask." 

You stared angrily at Khonshu, not noticing that Jake did too, and then turned to him. He took your hand, kissing it gently. "Jake Lockley, mi amor," he greeted. "I've wanted to meet you a long time." 

"Yeah, I--I got that." You pulled your hand away. "But... who are you?" you asked, staring into haunting unfamiliar eyes. 

"I'm another Steven," he said, and although Steven was silent, you saw him mouth no. When you didn't answer and Jake followed your eyes to the reflection, he found the situation all the more amusing. "You think there isn't room for one more in here?" Jake asked. "We're loco, remember?"

You shook your head. "But Steven was born from trauma. He's here to protect Marc." 

"Your point?" 

"That your existence implies a trauma neither of them know about. What happened?" 

Silence didn't suit Jake's personality so instead he huffed, grumbled something, and then continued the previous conversation like nothing had ever happened. "I don't keep mis hermanos quiet because of that... pigeon, as you call him," he said, and his eyes softened slightly. "I wanted to meet you without interruption. I've been watching you a while y/n." 

"A while," you repeated, staring at the suit. "You've been here this whole time?" Jake nodded. "But why now?" 

"We thought we'd lost you," he said. "Marc couldn't deal with it, and neither could Steven, so..." he trailed off, quickly coughing away the tremble in his voice. "But you're alive. All is well." 

"I've met you before," Matt said suddenly, and to be honest you'd forgotten he was there. You turned to him and he quickly continued. "I didn't know it was him. I just knew it wasn't Marc."

"Ahh yes, once," Jake said. "You caught my heartbeat change. Clever. But as you said, you didn't know it was me." 

Matt's eyes narrowed. He wasn't sure whether to trust Jake or not, and neither were you. You glanced back into the puddle. Although their weren't two reflections, you could make out both Marc and Steven's movements, like they were layered on top of each other. Both were pounding at the glassy water and shouting something indistinguishable, but Jake winced as the headache they were giving him. 

"Please, let them speak," you asked. "Let me talk to them." 

"I don't think--" Khonshu tried to say, but Jake held up his hand.

"We're only helping you for her," he hissed, and Khonshu growled under his breath as he leant back against a car. The alarm went off and the four of you scowled at him. You rested heavily against the walking stick and Jake took your arm supportively. "Layla, Matthew, the man who enslaved their God is Raoul Bushman," he said, and a cold shiver went up your spine. There was no such thing as coincidence. "You have the equipment in your home to start tracking him, yes?" 

The two of them could take a hint, and they nodded. "We'll have his location by the time you're  back," Matt said, and they headed back to his apartment. 

"They're being very loud," Jake warned, and as he blinked, Marc and Steven's voices filled your ears. 

"-- swear to every God if you don't let me out this second I'm gonna--"

"--alright, alright, relax," Jake said with a chuckle. "I'm going." 

There was a flash of moonlight in Jake's eyes and when it faded, Marc was in control. He staggered forward a step, staring at you like it was the first time. "Oh baby," he cried, enveloping you in a tight hug as he buried his face into your neck. "I thought we'd lost you forever." 

"No, no," you answered, fingers grasping at his curls. "You can't get rid of me that easily." 

"I'm never getting rid of you," he said, hand gently on your side as he looked you up and down. "And you're never getting rid of us. I love you y/n." 

"I love you too." 

"C'mon Marc," a timid voice said, and the two of you smiled at each other. You pressed your lips to Marc's, squeezing your eyes shut, and when you opened them, Steven was on the other end of your kiss. 

"Hey love," he said, holding your hand. "Sorry we couldn't protect you back in London." 

"You have nothing to apologise for," you answered immediately. "Neither..." you corrected yourself. "None of you." 

Steven lowered his head as Khonshu looked unfavourably upon him. "We're his avatar again." 

"I know. He tricked you, promising your freedom knowing he'd always have Jake." 

"Would've done it anyway." 

"Why?" 

"To protect you." 

"You're the sweetest man on earth, y'know that Steven," you smiled, but he still looked at you worriedly. 

"What are you gonna do with three of us?"

"Hmmm," you mused, mind wandering to dirty thoughts. "Apart from wishing we'd found Jake in the Duat too?"

Steven gasped, his cheeks reddening. "I--"

"--Alright, alright, that's enough," Marc said, shoving Steven out of the spotlight so hard he stumbled. "Baby, you're not gonna have to do a thing, ok," he said. "The three of us are gonna stop Raoul, kill Khonshu and get on with our lives." 

"I heard that," Khonshu said.

"You were meant to," Marc replied.