Chapter 22

With the ability of flight revoked when Khonshu relinquished his hold over Marc, it was a tedious flight back to London.

Babies screamed with lungs more powerful than any you'd heard, with the ability to consistently kick the back of your chair in the most painful way. By the time the three of you had landed, you wanted nothing more than to never see a child again. 

Steven and Marc had had a hushed discussion over who had to endure the flight and who got to hide in the comfortable confines of their mind, but both were so tired that within minutes, they were asleep. Even without Steven being aware of it, they'd both been used to functioning with the power of a God within them, and suddenly having that power stripped left them exhausted. 

"Get a cab Steven," Marc had sleepily mumbled when Steven headed towards the bus stop outside the airport. He got as far as ushering you into the back seat and giving the cabby the address before falling asleep again. There was no question of you going back to your place. When you arrived outside Steven's flat, Marc all but carried you upstairs, and the two of you collapsed into bed. 

***

 Neither you or Marc had remembered to shut the curtains, and so you woke to a shard of light shining through the window. You yawned, raising your arms above your head and stretching briefly before snuggling back into the warm covers. Next to you, Marc stirred, and the duvet dragged slightly as he sat up. He looked around the room in disbelief. 

"Steven? You there?" he whispered, almost scared that he wouldn't get a reply. Steven nodded, taking over his body. 

"Mhmm," he said, flipping up the blanket at the end of the bed. He smiled at the unlocked chain hanging loosely over the side, and his free ankle. "Can't believe it worked." 

Marc chuckled, looking around at the piles of books and scattered sand. "I can't believe you live in this fricking mess." 

"Oi." 

"It's not a mess," you mumbled. "It's... unique." 

Marc glanced down at you with a grin. "Good morning baby," he said, kissing your forehead. He lay back down, and you snuggled into his chest with a contented sigh as his thumb massaged gentle circles into your arm. 

"Morning you two," you replied. "Good sleep."

"Best I've ever had," Steven said from the mirror. "Here's to many more."  

You nodded, swinging your legs over the side of the bed, and Marc groaned, snaking his hand around your waist. "Where you going?" he muttered, planting kisses across the small of your back. 

"Make some coffee, feed the fish," you replied, and as you climbed off of the bed, so did Steven. 

"That's what I've been meaning to ask you Marc," he said, and as you headed to the kitchen area, he tapped on the fish tank, watching the two finned fish swim around. "What happened to Gus?"

Marc fell quiet. "I was away for a few days longer than anticipated," he admitted.

"I knew it," Steven said, jabbing at the fish. "I knew you weren't Gus." He popped open the tin of fish food and sprinkled some in, and then with a resigned breath, smiled at the fish. "But I love you anyway." 

You watched him warmly as you boiled the kettle, and made three cups of coffee. "How d'you like yours Marc?" you asked, and he took one of the cups from the counter.

"Black. Thanks baby." 

You stiffened slightly as you watched him take a sip. He looked so content, more so than you'd ever seen, and you didn't want to disrupt that, but there were questions left unanswered, issues unresolved.