Chapter 8

a/n: sorry this chapter isn't as good, there's a spicy chapter up next and I'm just speeding through to get to it 😁

You grabbed the window frame before a thought could cross your mind, and winced as glass embedded itself in your palms. Instead of leaning over the window sill, you instead climbed a crate and looked over from a height, to see Steven, picking himself off the ground in what you assumed was his version of the suit Layla had told you about; the one Marc was wearing you'd first encountered jackals.

"Oy, Steven, what the hell are we wearing?" you heard Marc say. 

"I don't know. She said I needed a suit." 

"Yeah, the ceremonial armour from Khonshu's temple, not psycho Colonel Sanders." 

Marc's sense of humour was still intact. Good. 

"Well, I think I do look sharp." 

Steven's was too.

"y/n." Layla called your name and you looked down to see her holding out a bandage to you. "For your hand." 

You took it and wound it around your palm. "Steven's fine, but we should..." you kicked your head towards the door and she nodded, and the two of you rushed out the door. Harrow's men had disappeared. With a jackal on their side, man power wasn't so necessary. 

When you got into the cold London air, the two of you shivered as you searched for Steven. Then you heard a bang and a yell, and you sprinted round the corner to see the jackal throwing Steven to the ground. 

"Oi, leave him alone!" you yelled, picking up a glass bottle and throwing it at the jackals face. It hissed, and you and Layla yelled out as it barrelled into the two of you, sending you flying. You grimaced as you hit the pavement, not noticing the scarab bouncing away across the tile. You scrambled towards Layla, helping her to her feet as Steven shouted. 

"Get away from them, you. Yeah, I see you, you plug-ugly coyote. You're in the wrong ends, mate. You're in my yard now." Steven rolled up his sleeves. You'd never seen him in a suit and damn, it did things to you. The jackal pawed the ground like a charging bull and started forward. "Yeah. Come on. Come on. That's right. Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee, my name is Steven with a V!" As he finished his rhyme, he punched the jackal round the face and it went flying backwards into the wall, landing with a thud. You stared at him, jaw on the floor, and he stared at his hands like he wasn't quite sure what he did. Then it hit him.

"I did it! You got planted! y/n! y/n! Did you see that?"

You nodded and then yelled out as the jackal ran at him, throwing him to the floor. You ran over as he staggered, using a stationary bus to haul himself up. The bandages came away from around his face as he stared into the reflection.

"Steven," you muttered and he glanced at you, eyes still glowing. 

"That was a hell of a punch back there," Marc said. "Look around. Someone's gonna get hurt if you don't let me help." 

"I can handle it," Steven said, but even you shook your head. 

"Steven, it's ok," you said gently and he nodded. "Marc's been doing this a while. I think he's got it covered."

You glanced between the two of them as they both looked at you, and then Steven sighed.

"All right. Do it. Take control. For now," he decided and you took a step back as the suit changed, his eyes flickering in the moonlight, and then suddenly it wasn't Steven.