Chapter 13

When you woke up to the light of the moon, Steven was still asleep.

Let him rest a while longer you decided. Peeling yourself from the sheets in a substantial amount of pain, you wandered to the curtains, pulling them back and letting the moon in. But you got more than you bargained for as you also let the watchful eye of Khonshu in. Thankful you'd thought it sensible to slip on a shirt before baring all to the ancient city, you stared at him as he slid off his perch atop the metal balcony and took a seat on one of the chairs outside.

"Worm," he said curtly.

"Pigeon," you responded, taking a seat opposite him. You flinched as you sat, cradling your arm around your waist. 

"You're injured."

"You're perceptive."

Khonshu hummed thoughtfully, then leant forwards and waved his staff over your head. The light of the moon bounced against the crescent, and when it struck you, a feeling you'd never flooded through you. It was like feeling every emotion all at once, and when the sensation faded, you were left with a tear in your eye that was from happiness and sadness at the same time. 

Suddenly you felt better than you had in years. Khonshu leant back, satisfied with himself, his hollow eyes watching as you uncurled the bandages around your hand to find that it was completely healed.

"You healed me," you said with surprise. You ran your thumb over your palm. Not even so much as a scar. "How did you...?" 

"The same way you can see me," Khonshu said, offering no further explanation. When you raised your eyebrows, he folded his arms with a slight shrug. "I'm not quite sure." 

"Well, thank you," you said, thinking that the God was finally warming to you. How wrong you then seemed.

"You're a distraction to Marc," he then said bluntly. "You and the other identity. Steven I can't be rid of, but you..."

You put two and two together pretty quickly and scoffed. "In return for healing me, you want me to go?" you clarified. 

Khonshu nodded. "Go home." 

"You know you're meant to broker the deal before you carry out your end of the bargain. Y'know, so the other party has a chance to agree to the terms."

"Really?" Khonshu's acting skills were remarkably bad as he feigned ignorance. 

"I'm not going."

"No?"

"No," you said indignantly. "I'm not leaving him. I'm not a distraction." 

"I beg to differ." 

"Agree to disagree."

"I'm a god, Worm," Khonshu threatened. "I shall only ask once. Leave."

"I believe that was the second time you asked," you said smartly. "Pidgeon." Khonshu stood suddenly, the chair flying back and hitting the railing with a bang. He loomed over you but you held your ground, trying to act unafraid. But an Egyptian God was standing in front of you. What could you do to stop his wrath?

"Khonshu." The curtain swayed and you watched Marc step out onto the balcony, a threatening tone to his voice. Had he been listening to the whole conversation? The God took a step back.

"You tell him to stay away from her," Steven said. Khonshu couldn't hear him.

"Harrow gets closer to Ammit's tomb with every passing moment," Khonshu said. "Need I remind you of the consequences of her release?"

"We won't let it get that far," Marc said. "We're leaving now." He grasped your hand and pulled you from the balcony, and when you looked back, Khonshu was gone.