Page one

Mindlessly passing through the channels on the tv was how I spend my weekends, maybe someday, when I'm older, my weekdays as well. I know most kids my age have jobs by now, but I really don't feel like I need one. My aunt, who lives in the house across from mine, does take good care of me. She leaves me meals outside my door, helps with my laundry, and helps me with homework when I need it. I live alone, for now, anyways. My parents are away on a business trip. So, my aunt—who's name is Claire by the way—is taking care of me. She wanted me to stay at her house while their away, but I would miss home to much. I stopped skipping through channels and paused on the news. I scrunched my nose up and skipped through more channels. I hated the news. I paused again on a commercial for a movie. At the end of the commercial, a man's voice spoke clearly and bluntly. "Movie is rated PG-13. Some scenes may contain inappropriate images for people under the age of 13." I turned the TV off and stared at the black screen. I was about to get up and head to my room when I heard a meow from the front door. I stumbled off the couch, wincing in pain as I stubbed my toe on the leg of the coffee table in the center of the room as I rushed to greet the neighborhood cat, Bits. Bits was a salty, rather fat gray cat that wandered around the neighborhood. Don't really know who started calling him Bits, but it stuck. The older ladies in the neighborhood give him treats and food, so he stuck around, just like his name.
Bits meowed again as he plopped down on the door mat that said, "Welcome!" In wavy, curly letters that wrapped around each other. I got out the small bag of cat treats aunt Claire had given me, and opened the door. There Bits sat, looking irritable that his waiter had taken so long. "Hello there, Bits." I dropped a treat on the doormat, and pet his behind his ears while he gobbled them up. "Hey Bits," I said while dropping another fish shaped snack on the ground for the cat. "Can you grant me a wish? Aunt Claire says cats can grant three wishes to humans for food." I smiled warmly at him as he licked his paws. "I'd like my first wish, that you turn me into a cat. So I can be pampered like you all day and never have to go to school again." Bits looked up at me, and scowled. Suppose I have to go to school. I sighed, and pet him on the head once more, before sealing the bag up again. I watched the plump cat trot off as the smile disappeared from my face. "If I was a cat," I turned to go inside, shutting the door softly behind me. "I'd never need to remember anything."