Page eleven

After Jarleen and Freid both left, I went upstairs and rolled up in my blankets. Baley had gone off to his room, and I was alone to think about the past few days. Everything seemed so surreal, I couldn't help but think why this was all happening. I picked up my phone, and swiped through my contacts. I tapped on the group chat me, my brother, and our parents were in. I knew they were busy, and I had horrible handwriting, so I kept them updated on my life like this. After every day, I would text them, making sure they knew I was eating well, and that I was seeing aunt Claire regularly. I smiled as I pressed the send button, and then turned my phone off. I rustled around in my bed sheets, and closed my eyes, still smiling. I wonder if Mason has a girlfriend yet, Mom and Dad said they fell in love at college. I laughed to myself at the thought of it, and rolled around again in my blankets.
I jumped, nearly falling out of my bed as my door slammed open. It reverberated off the wall, skating slightly. "Rune! Get your shoes on, we have to hurry!" Baley shouted, his eyes big and scared. I scrambled out of bed, and brushed my hair out my face with my hand. "What's going on? A fire or something?" I sniffed the air, and it didn't smell smoky in the slightest. He shook his head, and grabbed my hand, dragging me out the door. He shoved his phone in my face, and I messily grabbed it, squinting at the messages as we ran down the sidewalk. Crickets chirped and the streetlights blinked down at us. A chat log between Jarleen, Freid, and Baley was displayed on the screen. A single message, from Jarleen, was the last and most recent message.
"Go and hold Rune's hand for me."
I kept running, the sounds of our feet hitting the ground got louder in my head, like a drum that a kid wouldn't stop banging on.
"Where is she?" I asked Baley, panting to keep up with his quick pace. He shook his head, and pointed to the playground. There was Jarleen, sitting on the bench. Staring up the sky.
Freid came around the corner, huffing and catching his breath.
"Jarleen!" He shouted, running over to her and grabbing her shoulders. "Are you okay? What was that message about? What are you doing here?" He interrogated her, shaking her by the shoulders slightly. Baley came up behind him, putting his hand over Freid's and pulling his grasp gently away from her shoulders. He dragged Freid away, who was kicking and throwing his fists up into the air in protest. I walked over to Jarleen, sitting down beside her.
"Jarleen?" I stared at the sky with her, looking at the clouds that were floating around in the dark, starry sky. She didn't say anything, she just kept her gaze latched onto the moon.
"Rune," She finally spoke, and her voice was shallow and empty. Like a shell that was once full to bursting with childish laughter.
"Rune, where were you last summer?"
I thought it was a odd question to ask, and I stared at her quizzically.
She didn't give me a chance to answer, she just kept going. Soon, Baley and Freid came over to listen.
"I had nothing to do with it. My family was unscathed from what happened, but still I feel like.. Like every second of my life, something is going to go horribly wrong. If I hadn't told her to see him, if I just hadn't called, she never would have answers and then he wouldn't have gotten jealous. Then he never would have driven her there, and they all would be home right now! We all wouldn't have to go through this, and Baley's father wouldn't hate him, and Freid wouldn't act how he does, and maybe .." she put her hands to her face, and sobbed. Baley and Freid looked just as surprised as I was.
"Jarleen .. What are you talking about? Who is 'she'? And what call? What happened last summer?" I asked, putting my hand on her shoulder. She cried harder, and shook her head over and over again.
"Rune," Baley put his hand on my head, ruffling my hair.
"We're going home." He said, his voice commanding and stern. I looked confusedly up at him, and Freid, who was holding his arm and looking away.
"But we can't leave her here, what if she-?" I protested, and Baley shook his head. As he pulled me up, Jarleen got up from the bench, her eyes wet and red. As Baley took me home, his grip on my hand tightening, and as Freid kicked the bench and stormed off, Jarleen shouted into the night, her voice ringing in my head.
"Make a wish upstairs in the attic! It's more magical there!"