Page thirteen

I sat in the attic for a little bit more after that, then stood up. Gazing out the window for a moment, I went back down the ladder. I tip-toed downstairs and spotted Baley sleeping soundly on the couch, and slipped on my shoes and out the door. I walked down the sidewalk, the moon shimmering hello at me, and moths buzzed around the streetlights. The orange glow illuminated my figure for moments at a time. I put my hands in my jacket pockets as I walked, and went to the park. I watched as Clover rubbed her scent all over the playgrounds slide and equipment, then I walked back to my house. I didn't know why I was out here, or what I was trying to find. I stopped at my aunt Claire's front door, and then kept walking after a long moment of staring at it. I sat at the front stoop of my house, staring at the shadows of the night. I thought about Baley, Freid, and Jarleen. I thought about how they acted, and what had happened in the time we had met again. Our problems had brought us closer, and I wasn't sure if I liked that or not. I shuffled my feet back and forth, and then, one of the shadows moved. I jumped, and nearly scrambled for the door, before he came out of the nights shadows, and into the light of my front porch. Freid Herring.

"Sorry for scaring you Rune." He apologized, as I moved over so could sit next to me. I told him it was alright, and a long moment of silence came between us as neither of us said anything. Then, Freid spoke. "Did you do what Jarleen asked? Go to your attic?" He asked, and I nodded. I told him about the videos, and he stared at the ground. "Can I talk? You don't have to listen, I just need to talk." He asked, and I nodded, and leaned against the my front door. Freid went on to talk about how his parents, and how they were on the verge of a divorce. How he was constantly scared about others finding out, and how he quit eating for awhile. How he had to go the hospital, and his parents became stricter with him. He said he knew they cared for him, and he loved them so much, but he just felt like a unnecessary burden on them. He said how angry it made him when they argued over stupid, little things. He told me how they never went on family outings anymore, and how his mom had stopped cooking. "All I want," his lip trembled, and he rapidly blinked away his tears. "Is for us to be alright again. And for them to laugh and smile again." He sniffed and swallowed. "And if I have to leave for that to happen, I might as-" But I didn't let him finish as I turned quickly around and hugged him. He stopped, and his eyes opened wide. His hands shook as he raised them to hug me back. "Don't ever disappear, Freid." I whispered, and he gripped the back of my shirt, burying his face in my shoulder. "But what if they do leave me behind? What will I do then?" He cried, and I held him tighter. "Even if the world leaves you behind, and your parents divorce, you can come to my house, and dinner will be on the table. And we'll go on outings, all of us. And we'll never fight ever again." I promised, and he nodded quietly. "Thank you .. Rune .." He mumbled, and then he raised his head.
"That's it." He stated, and looked me right in the eye.
"You need to know."