Depression and Faith

Returning to Divine Moments, I'm going to walk through what they say about depression, as that has been something I've been dealing with recently.

Joshua 23:14 says "And, behold, this day I am going the way of all the earth: and ye know in all your hearts and in all your souls, that not one thing hath failed of all the good things which the LORD your God spake concerning you; all are come to pass unto you, and not one thing hath failed thereof." (Emphasis my own.)

While this is not written to us, the truth of it still stands. The Lord blesses us, and these blessings never fail. That's something I need to remember more often.

The book opens with the question: Does feeling depressed mean something is wrong with my faith?

I'll tell you what the book says in a moment, but my own answer is a firm, strong No. Depression means that one is not feeling God at that moment, but that doesn't mean that the cause lies in one's faith. My faith has been strong throughout these past few years, even through the depression and anxiety and all the other overwhelming feelings that invade my mind. I would say that depression or anxiety or whatever is more pointing towards an issue with one's heart as opposed to their faith. Someone can have the strongest faith in the world, but if their heart isn't right, then they likely are going to struggle more with issues such as depression. One way I've found to keep my heart and mind focused on the right things is to turn to the Bible. Just open it up and start reading. I'm still not great at my consistency with my Bible reading, but I've seen in my life that it does help.

The cited scripture is as follows:

John 15:11 (All of chapter 15 is in red, part of a long segment of speech that spans from 14:23 to 16:16)

"These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full."

Proverbs 16:20

"He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he."

While there's nothing wrong with either of these verses, I do wish that the book explained them and why they chose to represent these particular parts of scripture. Without explanation, these verses almost seem to say "if you aren't happy, then you aren't right with God," which is a total and complete lie.

The book takes care to point out that depression in itself is not a sin, nor does God think any less of you for having it or dealing with it. What depression does do is leave you vulnerable for falling into temptation and believing the lies Satan whispers to you. But it doesn't explain the significance of the verses.

John 15:11:

"Joy" is not the same as "happiness." Happiness is an emotion, which comes and goes like the tide. Joy is a state. A person chooses joy. Joy can be found even in the middle of the darkest of times, and joy can be found apart from happiness. In fact, most of the time I would say that joy occurs without happiness. Joy is a much deeper place of being than happiness, and my youth pastor has had several sermons on how we're to be seeking joy rather than happiness in this life, and how true joy can only be found at the Savior's feet.

Proverbs 16:20:

The verse says "and whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he." This doesn't necessarily mean that one feels happy; rather, it means that one who trusts in the Lord is on the winning side. Those who are lost are miserable, even if they don't know it, because of where their path is leading them. But those who are saved are on an upward path towards Heaven, and that is truly happy indeed.

Neither of these verses are trying to imply that one must be happy 24-7 365. I'd actually be a little scared of someone who was happy that often: it's unnatural to never feel heartarche and pain, sadness and doubt, fear and anger. All the emotions that make us human.

1 Kings 19:1-4

"And Ahab told Jezebel all that Elijah had done, and withal how he had slain all the prophets with the sword. Then Jezebel sent a messenger unto Elijah, saying, So let the gods do to me, and more also, if I make not thy life as the life of one of them by to morrow about this time. And when he saw that, he arose, and went for his life, and came to Beersheba, which belongeth to Judah, and left his servant there. But he himself went a day's journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree; and he requested for himself that he might die; and said, It is enough; now, O LORD, take away my life, for I am not better than my fathers."

Whether this is an example of depression, anxiety, or both, I don't know. However, I feel comforted in the fact that even Elijah, one of the greatest men of God, also had a time in his life where he wished he were dead. To me, it feels like God included this in the scriptures so that we could see that it's human to deal with such things as anxiety and depression.

The last thing the book gives the reader is what I have always found to be what may just be my favorite chapter in the whole Bible: Psalm 23: (Emphasis my own)

"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want,

"He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

"He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death; I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

"Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever."