Kabanata 16

Veric

Through the large window of my private jet, gazing at the vast skies stretching out before me, I attempted to douse the building anxiety in my chest by nipping at the knuckle of my thumb. I was doing it subtly, though. My fist balled against my mouth acting as if I was lost in my thoughts. Para hindi isipin ni Abby, Hexon, at Astriel na para akong bata.

But I was actually lost in my thoughts. And that was the problem. Sa sobrang dami kong iniisip--mga plano at bagay-bagay na dapat gawin para maka-survive kami ni Abby sa gaganaping Conclave--, nagsisimula nang mamanhid ang mga sentido ko.

Pagkalapag namin sa Italy, alam kong makakaharap ko na naman ang mga taong ayaw kong makita sa buong buhay ko. There was a reason I'd requested the Godfather to post me in Southeast Asia. Yung malayo sa mga miyembro ng Cosa Nostra. Dagdag kasi sila sa sakit ng ulo.

I couldn't get rid of the feeling, the urge, to order Astriel to make a detour back to the Philippines and just forget about the whole thing.

But the Godfather will kill you for declining the invitation, my logic whispered to me.

I turned my head around and faced Abby who was sitting across from me.

"You should sleep," sabi ko sa kanya na tahimik lang na naka-upo sa harapan ko. My sweater was too large on her. Para tuloy siyang binalot ng kumot. "Tatlong oras pa yung biyahe papuntang Italy. You need your strength for the days ahead."

"No, thank you. I've slept enough during my lock-up," malumanay na sagot ni Abby pero kapansin-pansin pa rin yung kamandag sa bawat salita niya.

Feisty. Even though she was the one at the end of the stick, her mulishness was still existent.

"Suit yourself," tugon ko naman. "But before we land, I need to disclose to you what's gonna be your role in this vacation."

"I already got the memo," usal ni Abby, her jaw set tight, pulling up a false bravado. "I'll take care of Cal for you while you enjoy your days lying under the Italian sun."

"Abby," I said, warning in my tone. "If you keep being difficult, I swear you won't get to see the next light of the day if you fucked this up."

"I get it, okay?" Abby huffed. "You're gonna kill me if I try to escape. 'Wag kang mag-alala. Hindi naman ako tatakas. Mas mabilis pa rin ang bala ng baril kaysa sa 'kin."

I let out an exasperated sigh. I held Abby's gaze and, carefully and gently, swore to her, "I'm not going to kill you, Abby. I won't ever hurt you. You have my word."

"But Tara is an exception?"

I ignored her. "Kailangan ko lang ng kooperasyon mo rito, naiintindihan mo ba? Because once the Clan discovers you're an outsider, you're as good as dead, and I won't have any control over it."

"Clan..." She drawled the word, then her eyes widened in realization. "You're in the Mafia."

"We are the Mafia," I clarified. "And your goal here is to not just be Cal's nanny, but you're gonna pretend that he's your son, and I'm your--"

"Husband," Abby finished for me, her eyes darkening in anger. "Bakit? May mana ka bang hinahabol? Is this one of the terms and conditions? Na kailangan makapag-uwi ka ng asawa at anak?"

"The reason is much more complicated."

"How the hell am I gonna convince your people that I'm your wife if I could barely stand the sight of you?" sigaw na tanong ni Abby. "And not to mention... touch you?"

From where he was reclining on the other side of the cabin, Hexon threw a dangerous look at Abby for raising her voice at me. Buti na lang eh makapal yung pintuan ng private quarter kung saan natutulog ngayon si Cal.