Calm

“We have to go now!” my mom called up the stairs. Emily and I exchanged annoyed glances and finished packing a bag with all of the things that we might need at the wedding. Make up, comfortable shoes, pants, and anything else we could think of. Our dresses were neatly folded in long plastic bags and put into two suit cases that were then tossed in the back of the truck, much to my annoyance.

“Why do you need that?” Tucker asked me from his spot on my bed. He pointed to my curling iron.

“In case they don’t have one.” I answered, checking one last time to make sure I had everything. He rolled his eyes, but I could see the glint of humor in his eyes.

“Tucker, what are you wearing?” Emily demanded, stopping for a moment to put her hands on her hips. Tucker pointed to a black button down shirt hanging on my closet door. Emily made a face, but didn’t make any further comments. Tucker would not be convinced to dress up anymore, and I didn’t think he needed to. He made anything look good.

I had to be there early for the wedding so we could do a practice run through, and my mom didn’t want to have to make the trip twice. Emily’s parents were also down stairs, waiting for us. Our truck couldn’t fit more than three people, so Emily was riding with her parents, but she had insisted on leaving with us.

“I better look freaking beautiful for all of this.” She said, throwing the heavy bag over her shoulder. I laughed.

“You will.” I said, shaking my head. She grumbled something unintelligible then left my room. I hoisted my bag over my shoulder, only to have it removed. I looked up at Tucker.

“I can carry it.” I insisted, reaching for it. He held it away. “Nope.”

With that, he kissed my cheek and took my hand with his free one as we left my room for the rest of the day.

My mom had hired a couple trust worthy guys to do all the chores for us, and I waved at them as I went through the now empty kitchen. I could hear everyone else out side.

“Bye Tim, bye Pete.” I said, waving.

“See ya Syd.” Tim said in his low voice. Tucker nodded at them but remained silent.

“Syd- oh, there you are.” My mom said, stopping mid scream when she saw us coming towards where she stood with Bob and Kim. Tucker silently put the bags in the back of the truck and then leaned against the hood, folding his arms. He looked so….gorgeous.

“Are we finally ready?” Kim asked, smiling around at us. I nodded.

“Well, it’s about time. You two only took three days.”  My mom said, and they laughed, because that’s the sort of stuff grownups laugh at. Emily and I rolled our eyes.

“Alright, then we’ll see you there.” Bob said, rubbing his hands together as if he were cold. He grabbed Emily into a sideways bear hug, crushing her against his side.

“It’s gonna be a great trip, huh kid? Road games, family sings along’s.” Bob said cheerfully, smiling down at his daughter.

Emily groaned and pulled away. “Have fun.” I said, giving her a small wave. She made sure our parent weren’t paying attention, then shot me the bird before climbing into her car and slamming the door.

“Well, that’s our queue. See you guys later.” Kim said, waving. We waved and watched as they pulled away.

“Alright, let’s get this wagon train rolling!” my mom cried, making me roll my eyes. She always said stuff like that. I moved to sit in the center, but she caught my arm.