Together

“Ugh, get a room.”

Tucker immediately released his grip on me and stepped away, thinking my mother had walked in on us making out in the barn. But it wasn’t my mom who stood in the doorway of the barn, it was Emily. I glared at her behind tucker’s back, but then smiled.

“Hey, Em. What’s up?” I asked, walking towards her. She always came over on Wednesday, and usually slept over. She rolled her eyes.

“I don’t think I’m ever gonna get that image out of my head.” she complained.

“You’re welcome.” Tucker said as he walked by, making me giggle. Even Emily couldn’t help smiling.

“You’re such a twelve year old.” She called over her should er as he headed towards the chicken coop. He held his middle finger high above his head for both of us to see, and we laughed.

“I just gotta finish a couple things, then we can swimming or something.” I said, and Emily nodded. I knew she would want to know all the details of what had happened between tucker and I, and why he had returned to the wedding after we had been attacked with a black eye. I might have to make something up for that part, I thought.

I finished up my chores all while Emily babbled away. I loved Emily, but my god could she talk. If you locked her in a room by herself, she would talk and talk and talk before she even realized she was alone.

“Then, I found this adorable little store with such good process!” she cried happily. Her mother had taken her to a the mall a few days before as a surprise, and Emily had been absolutely delighted. She loved fashion, and hoped to become a designer one day. I had no doubt she would. She was amazing at putting out fits together, often making her own clothes and patterns.

She held her hand out for me to see.

“I got this cute little ring for only thirty dollars!” she cried, and I almost gagged. Only thirty dollars? I nodded, because I was her best friend.

Totally worth it.” I said, trying not to sound sarcastic. “I know, right?” she squealed, then spun around. “And look at this pin? Isn’t it so pretty?”

There was a golden pin with a perfect brass rose on it tucked into her bright red hair. I had to admit, it was pretty. She turned back around, smiling at me.

“So, are we gonna go swimming, or what?” I smiled and nodded. “Yep, lets go.” I said, asmiling. We left the barn in search of Tucker.

“Hey, we’re going down to the brook, you wanna come?” I asked Tucker, who was sitting at the wheel of our old tractor, twisting the key. Before he could answer, I sighed.

“You do this wrong ever time. “I said, climbing up. I pushed the key in really hard and twisted it half way around in one direction and then the other direction, and the tractor sputtered to life. He nodded.

“Every time.” He muttered as I climbed back down.

“So? You gonna come with us?” Emily asked, shading her eyes to look up at him. He looked between Em and I for a minute before shaking his head.

“No, I gotta find the spot where the cows keep escaping, but thanks.” He explained, and I nodded.

“Alright, we’ll be back in a few hours then. Tell my mom, will you?” I asked, and he nodded, jumping down from the tractor. He kissed my cheek as he passed by. “Don’t drown!”he called over his shoulder. I laughed.

“I’ll try to avoid it!” I called back, laughing with Emily.

                                                                                  **********