Chapter Two: Enlistment

When you boarded the train from your British hometown of Leeds in West Yorkshire, your mother was a sobbing mess. She was, after all, still heartbroken over the loss of your older brother. Your older sister, Emily, would stay home.

Off you went to Abbots Langley, and its training camp. This is where you would be during your rigorous training. When you arrived, the commanding officer immediately began to shout. They were ruthless, barking orders with no pause.

You were forced out of your basic clothing, and into the British uniform. Khaki uniform. Cap. Boots. All of it. 

Training was tough.

Running through courses of obstacles.

Training with your rifle.

Training with a bayonet.

Training with a saber.

Throwing grenades.

It was rough, but you managed. Waking up early, donning your uniform, training every day.

It felt like an eternity.

Finally, after what felt like ages, you finished your training. You would be sent out within the next few months. However, for now, you were allowed to return home. It wouldn't be for long, but you could be home for a bit.

The return home after your training was one you wouldn't take lightly. You practically rushed the train. Going home after your training was such a worthwhile event.

Nobody was there when you arrived. The streets were empty. Many places were boarded up.. Suddenly, a zeppelin loomed through the mist, a heavy bomb dropping from the airship. There was a screaming wail, and-

You awoke with a start, shaken awake by the train's guard. "Sir. I need to see your ticket." It was all a dream? You nodded, and brought your ticket up. The guard took the ticket, eyeing it. "Leeds, eh..? We're not far from there." let out the guard in a Scottish accent. "Just two more stations and we'll be there. Try not to fall asleep again." You gave a tired nod. "Alright. Thanks.." 

The guard blinked. "Ah. You're a Yank! Ain't seen many Yanks about." He seemed surprised to see an American. "Oh, uhh, yeah. I've lived in Leeds for a few years now.. Just headed home." The guard nodded, and returned your ticket, walking off to check the tickets of the other passengers..

Home came sooner than you thought. Leeds. You returned home, and your parents were thrilled. There was a soiree. A party. It was a feel-good moment after what had felt like an eternity of being away..

Unfortunately, the next time you left would bring something much, much harder than training.