Chapter 15: Memories

Cupid
0:00 ──────── 3:38
◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹

"What is it?"
"I don't know. It's bread."
Taeman was about to pick it up when Junhee hit on his hand.

Mr.Lee and Kim Wonbin shook hands before starting to prepare the mug cakes.
"Woahh"
We were clapping our hands while waiting for it to bake.
"It's a magic trick that turns hardtacks into a cupcake."
"There you go."

We gasped, "Wow!"
"It smells amazing!"
"It's so good."
"I didn't know hardtacks were this good. I used to throw them away."
"Me too."
"The hardtack-sando is amazing. I'll salivate when I see hardtacks from now on like Pavlov's dog." Soochul grinned.
Taeman choked , "Yah you mean the dog of flanders." he started laughing but stopped when he noticed everyone's eye was on him.

Everyone's smile dropped and they stopped with what they were doing and looked at Taeman weirdly.

"Patrache??" Taeman raised his eyebrows.
We sighed and shook our heads.
"You can be the dog." Jangsoo put the flour on Taeman's face.
We all started laughing at his face.
"Forget it If I'm wrong." Taeman threw the flour on Jangsoo's face but he moved away so It fell on Soonyi.
"Yah how could you!" Heerak gasped.
"Taeman!" Soonyi screamed as she was ready to throw the flour on Taeman but it fell on Heerak.
Heerak took flour on his hands to throw but Kim Wonbin shouted, "Yah! How dare you play with food!"
"Ajhusshi!" Heerak threw it on him instead as he started laughing.
"You don't get it, do you?" Kim Wonbin glared.
"Wonbin." Mr.Lee chuckled lightly.
"Let go of me!"  Wonbin threw it on Mr.Lee's face.
I put my hand on my mouth in shock as everyone gasped.
"I'm sorry..."
"Kim Won Bin." Mr.Lee looked at him and took some flour to threw it on all of us. Everyone got shocked at his action then they all started throwing flour on each other.
"Get him."
"Take this."

Everyone was laughing and playing with the flours while I somehow managed to get out of their hand but ilha dragged me in there again.
"No look-" I couldn't finish my sentence as they all attacked on me. Before even realizing I was covered up in flour.

I went to Chiyeol and made cat whiskers on his both cheeks. He scrunched his nose as I giggled at how adorable he was looking "Cute." I turned around when I felt a tap on my shoulder which I regretted immediately.
"Big head, Annyeong." Ilha rubbed my whole face with flours.
This guy is always here to ruin my cute moments.
"Kwon ilha, you dummy!" I chased after him with flour on my hands.

We all stopped as we all got tired, everyone was full of flour.
"We're a mess."
"I'm covered in it." I was brushing off the flours from my clothes.
"Look at you."
"You look worse."
"You're so childish, Lieuntent Lee."
"It looked like you were having more fun than us." I chuckled as he smiled.
"By the way, what did you do before you came here?" Hana asked.
"I was part of a combat unit."
"No, before that. Did you go to university?"
Soyeon moved closer to Mr.Lee before clearing her throat to catch his attention.
"Do you have a girlfriend?" Soyeon smiled.
"You little...I don't take questions unrelated to training."
"He definetly has a girlfriend." Dukjung said.
"No, he doesn't!" Soyeon threw a bread on him.
Everyone laughed at their actions.
"After we all go home and the war end, what will you do?" Soyeon asked.
"I said I won't take any questions unrelated to training."
"It is related." Soyeon whined, "We have to know more about you for the platoon members to be more efficient." she was blinking her eyes realizing how awkward the situation became as she was signaling at us to change the subject. "Yah change the subject." she mouthed.
"Fine, fine."
"Come one. Tell us." I insisted.
"Please tell us!" Junhee shook her head.
"Tell us."
"Tell us."
"Tell us."
"Tell us."
"Tell us."
Everyone started cheering while clapping their hands.
"Stop it!" Mr. Lee shouted making everyone silent.

But soon he took a spoon as a mic before clearing his throat, "Listen." everyone laughed, "I was part of the ROCT. I joined after graduating from the university. I have a year left to serve, but I haven't decided whether I'll leave or extend my terms. Thats it."
"Extend? Why would you do any more of this?"
"I know right, isn't tiring? It's better to go out into the world."
"Being out in the world is tough too. I'm still young and don't know much but it's a war everywhere. You could say getting into university is a local war and being out in the world is a world war." Kim Wonbin sighed, "This is the happiest you'll be." He stopped as soon as he realized he shouldn't have said that.

Everyone went silent when Aesol speaked, "When this war will end?"
"Will...we able to go home?"
"They say we can go home if we get through this operation."
"Can we...believe that? Don't think we don't know anything because we're kids. Tell us the truth."

Mr.Lee stayed quiet before clearing his throat, "I don't know when this war will end, just remember that you have to survive till the end. I promise I will help you to survive without getting hurt."

Everyone sighed as they hugged each other for comfort. Nara put her head on my shoulder and wrapped her hands on my arm as she whispered, "We'll be fine." I slightly smiled at her words.

They all got pretty relieved after hearing his words but I couldn't. There's so many stuffs going in my head. "Will I be able to save them?" It's not the only thing that makes me worried, "Will I able to save myself?" this question keeps me awake every night.

If I die here, Will I be able to go back or actually die?