3 ༄

Artemis assured them that dawn was coming, but Astoria saw no such thing happening

Artemis assured them that dawn was coming, but Astoria saw no such thing happening. It was colder and darker and snowier than ever. Up on the hill, Westover Hall's windows were completely lightless.

The Hunters broke camp as quickly as they'd set it up. She stood shivering in the snow -unlike the Hunters, who didn't seem to feel at all uncomfortable-, and Artemis stared into the east like she was expecting something. Bianca sat off to one side, talking with Nico. She could tell from his gloomy face that she was explaining her decision to join the Hunt. Astoria could tell Percy was thinking that it selfish it was of her to abandon her brother like that. She wished Percy wouldn't think that way about her if she decided to follow Bianca's path.

The last thing she wanted was for Percy to think of her as selfish and arrogant and other bad self-absorbed stuff. Thankfully, Percy didn't feel like having a conversation either he just snuggled next to her and look between the two siblings. Thalia and Grover came up and huddled around them, anxious to hear what had happened in the audience with the goddess.

When they told them, Grover turned pale. "The last time the Hunters visited camp, it didn't go well."

"I know, Chiron has told me the story. It was a disaster." Astoria added sadly.

"How'd they even show up here?" Percy wondered. "I mean, they just appeared out of nowhere."

"And Bianca joined them," Thalia said, disgusted. "It's all Zoe's fault. That stuck-up, no good-"

"Hey, Zoe's okay. And Bianca is not a little kid, she has her own mind." Astoria said quickly before anyone of them could argue. "Could you guys imagine having to take care of your little sibling at the age of twelve with absolutely no help? No wonder, she chose the Hunt."

"I raised Annabeth!" Thalia said exaggerated.

"Along with Luke and that was your choice," Astoria said calmly this time, her voice lowering when she mentioned him. "Look, forget it, I'm thankful you did."

"Who can even blame her though?" Grover said. "Eternity with Artemis?" He heaved a big sigh.

Astoria giggled. "I forgot about your obsession with Artemis."

Thalia rolled her eyes. "You satyrs. You're all in love with Artemis. Don't you get that she'll never love you back?"

"But she's so... into nature," Grover swooned.

"Sorry Grov, you don't stand a chance. You're both a guy and nuts," said Astoria.

"Nuts and berries," Grover said dreamily making Astoria laugh again."Yeah."

At last the sky began to lighten. Artemis muttered, "About time. He's so-o-o lazy during the winter."

"You're, um, waiting for sunrise?" Percy asked.

"For my brother. Yes."

There was a sudden burst of light on the horizon. A blast of warmth.

"Don't look," Artemis advised. "Not until he parks." Parks? Ha, Astoria was definitely going to enjoy this.