Ideology From Hell

What makes a hero...? That's what started this whole mission. Izuku was smiling, as he handed a pastry to a regular customer, a little old lady who lives two blocks away from the bakery. Izuku sighed, as he walked into the back where some cookies were baking.

"Hello, Ochako!" Izuku waved, to his co-worker. Izuku worked at 'Corner Street Cats Cafe'. A fairly well known bakery in mustafa. Ochako Uraraka had walked in one day, hoping they were hiring. Izuku gladly accepted the help. Since he owned the building and was the only worker at the time.

Turns out not a lot of people wanna work with a quirkless teenager as their boss. Ochako didn't mind Izuku's quirklessness, instead she just wanted work. She needed money for school and home necessities. Izuku never asked what those 'necessities' were, it wasn't any of his business.

She worked hard. Never complained about how much she made or believing she deserved more. She was kind to- not only Izuku- but every customer, even rude ones which Izuku had no patience for.

Izuku barely got 2 hours of sleep weekly. He didn't have the energy to deal with a 30 year old woman complaining that a donut was two dollars more expensive than the store three blocks away. Izuku said- "If you like their prices so much, then go buy from them. Because this is MY store and these are MY prices. Good. Day. Ma'am."

Anyway, Izuku was helping Ochako take out the two pans of cookies, deep in thought about his first encounter with a hero. Shouta Aizawa...

Flashback...

The Angel of Death finished off yet another sex offender. Izuku simply sighed, as he picked up his blades. None of the blood was his, of course, but the blades were. Izuku felt the wind move behind him.

In his training, he developed a sixth sense in a way. The wind moves around people differently than around objects, it's why you heard a *swipe* noise when a sword slashes. Or why you felt the wind push against you when a dog walks up to you.

"If you're here to kill me," Izuku said, emotionless. "Then, do it."

"You're a kid?" Said the shocked voice of a man. Izuku turned to face a man with floating black hair and yellow goggles. If Izuku knew how to laugh without forcing himself to, he would be cracking up right about now.

"So what if I am?" Izuku questioned. "Eraserhead. Or... Shouta Aizawa if I'm not mistaken? Quirk: Eraser, you can erase the quirks of anyone you look at. Except mutations, if I remember correctly?"

Aizawa tensed. Izuku had a habit of muttering, it paid off in only one way. It made his opponents realize he knew more about them, then they could ever know about him.

"My apologies," Izuku sighed, as he started to walk away. Izuku deemed Aizawa a threat, but decided to let the underground hero think that Izuku was cocky or thought they had similar goals. "I tend to mutter, when I see a face I recognize and respect."

"Hold it, you're coming with me to the station kid," Aizawa shot out his scarf towards Izuku. Izuku stopped walking, leaned away, and dodged the scarf faster than Aizawa could see. Aizawa was confused- "Why isn't my quirk working? You shouldn't be able to use your quirk."

Izuku internally sighed- 'It seems they believe I have a speed or stealth quirk.' Izuku quietly walked up behind Aizawa, and held a knife to his lower spine. Meaning if he moved, he'd be paralyzed from the waist down- "Don't move." Aizawa's eyes went wide, underneath his mask. Aizawa raised his hands in surrender. "It seems you believe I use a quirk while working. But why do that, when quirks are so easily taken away or exploited? Quirks are tools nothing more, and if you don't need a tool for a specific job? Why use one?"

"So you're saying you fight quirkless?"

"Did I say I fight without a quirk? I simply said you think I use a quirk, not that what you were thinking was wrong or correct? I could very well use a quirk under normal circumstances, or I could very well NOT use one. But clearly this is NOT what most would consider normal circumstances."

"Neither is murdering people."

"I murder corrupt people."

"And what gives you the right to determine if someone is in the moral right or wrong?"

"I could ask you the same thing?"

"What? You clearly know I'm a pro hero?"

"So does having a license, that says you can legally use your quirk, mean you get to decide who's right and who's wrong?"

"It's my JOB to arrest suspects and it's the court's job to determine if they're guilty or not."

"And how effective is legal punishment? If a murderer gets ten years, they'll still be out on the streets, if a sex offender get 25 years, they'll be out to harm others. Fines only punish those without money. A richman can be hit with a 200,000 yen fine, and walk away with no more than a dime down. A poor woman could be hit with a 2,000 yen fine and be screwed for the rest of her life. So tell me? Is the law truly what defines right and wrong? Or what punishment should fit what crime?"

"You say that like you believe you're some god, Shadow."

"I didn't choose those names- Angel of Death, Shadow, The Night Stalker, or whatever you heroes wish to call me. And I certainly never said I was anything more than human. I do, what I believe is right. I have a question for you Aizawa."

"What is it?" Aizawa knew he should be arresting this murderer, and as much as he hates to admit it, the most he listens, the more this kid makes sense.

"What is the definition of a 'hero'?"

"Someone who's willing to put their life on the line for others. Someone who understands that this isn't a job the weak can handle."

"Hmm," The Angel of Death seemed... disappointed? "That's YOUR definition. But what about other people? Is it... Those who inspire hope and safety? Is it someone who always comes out on top? Is it someone who beats the villains and criminals? What people define as a 'hero' is all opinionated."

"So what's your definition of a 'hero', Shadow?"

"I don't believe in such a thing. Now I'm gonna leave, you won't follow me tonight. Feel free to find me again, when you truly are ready to face me..." Aizawa felt the knife pull away from his lower back. Immediately, Aizawa turned to face his target and shot his scarf. However, there was no one there...

Flash back over...

"-Zuku... IZUKU MIDORIYA!?" Ochako shouted, at his friend and boss.

"What? Hun?" Izuku snapped out of his daze. "Oh! S-sorry Ochako. I guess I zoned out there."

"Zoned out? For three hours? You've been looking at that news article of The Night Stalker for three hours now!"

"Oh, I guess he's just... scary... to me..."

"I find his ideology quite interesting actually."

"You're joking," Izuku deadpanned.

"No," Ochako nodded her head, smiling. "His idea that punishment for crimes should be equal is something I agree with. Sure, he may be a little... extreme... But he puts his money where his mouth is and gets his job done, that's more than most of the heroes or police force."

"That's actually a good point..."

"There's an entire forms page dedicated to his mission and ideology made by his followers and fans."

"There is?"

"Yup! Here's the link. It's a private link, so the media or government can't take it down. The people online are generally pretty good people. They tend to consist of broke people, those who have villainous families or quirks, the quirkless, and pretty much anyone who has been turned down by society as a whole. He's a hero to them."

"A hero to them..." Izuku muttered, as he stared at the link. Izuku looked up at his friend with a smile. "Ok, I'll check it out! Thanks Ochako, you ok with closing up tonight?"

"Of course, see you tomorrow?"

"As always!"