CHAPTER 1

Lisa's POV

Five months ago

I woke up to the aroma of my mom's cooking.

"Lalisa!" my mom called out to me.

Living in a not-so-wealthy family requires extra effort.

It's Saturday morning, which means it's time to go to work.

Yes! You read that right.

Work!

I work at a fast-food restaurant as a service crew.

"Good morning, mom! How are you?" I asked her before heading to our small kitchen.

"You woke up late," Mom scolded me.

She still noticed that? Hehe.

Lately, I haven't been feeling motivated. But of course, I don't forget the fact that we're not wealthy, so I need to work extra hard. Not just for my future, but for Mom too.

"I've just had a lot on my mind lately, but I'm okay, ma," I replied with a smile.

I looked closely at Mom, and her tiredness was evident in her eyes.

I know how exhausted she is. She wakes up early just to prepare breakfast for me.

When I think about things like that, I feel guilty.

I feel guilty that I can't even give her the things she deserves.

Ever since I was a child, she's been the one taking care of me and raising me. She's been both a mother and father to me.

If only I had a choice to give her everything, I would, and more.

I was surprised when Mom suddenly approached me and held my hand, "Take care of yourself. It's okay if we don't have money, as long as we're healthy and I have you with me, that's enough for me," she said with a smile.

After having breakfast, I immediately left our apartment with mom.

Since my workplace was nearby, I decided to just walk. Not only would I save on transportation fare, but I'd also get some exercise.

As I walked, some students caught my attention. I looked at them and saw how they screamed when a boy got out of a car.

I am not familiar with the name of that boy, but he seems to be very popular."

Youth these days, always like that.

Instead of wasting my time checking on the boy they were fantasizing about, I focused myself on walking and making haste.

When I arrived at work, my boss immediately approached me.

I'm surprised by his behavior. Usually, he only notices my tardiness at work.

"Lisa," he called my name as he approached me.

"Yes, sir?" I asked calmly.

"We have a party later at the function hall. Would you like to do overtime? We're short-staffed," he offered.

Wait, is this for real? Is he really offering me overtime?

I couldn't help but smile at what I heard. Overtime opportunities rarely come my way! In my current situation, that's a big deal!

"Alright, thank you, sir!" I replied with a smile.

After that incident, he quickly turned away from me.