CXXII

Hoseok walked into a study room on the second floor of the castle. It was a room that was usually empty, he heard. He had asked around where he could find a study place where he would likely not be disturbed.

At first, he wondered why this perfectly located room wasn't used by more students, but then he spotted Namjoon sitting at a table in the middle. He was petting a moving plant that seemed to have come from the darkest pit of hell, with how many teeth it had and its horribly misshapen black and red leaves. 

"...h-hi Joon. What... what do you have there?" Hoseok called out, waving his hand uncertainly. He refused to step closer and realized that no other student would want to come near that hideous plant either. None other than Namjoon, it seemed.

"Hmmm? This is just a book on Charms," Namjoon replied innocently, holding up his book with the hand that wasn't petting the plant from hell.

Hoseok gave him a look. "Right. How about that demon plant you're petting?"

Namjoon frowned, at first not understanding. Then he looked at the plant, which seemed to be growling, but it didn't scare Namjoon one bit.

"Oh, this? New project for Herbology. Extra credit. Professor Sprout told me I could become her assistant next year if I managed to raise this plant well. You're good with plants. Do you think I'm doing a good job?"

Hoseok stared at the terrifying plant, which seemed more than ready to kill Namjoon, but somehow didn't make a move to bite his head off. Which it seemed perfectly able to. 

"Yeah... great job... Good luck. I'm... I'm gonna head out now, bye!"

He moved back to the door and he heard the growling stop. So it was directed at him?!

Yeah, okay, he was not coming back there to study.