Chapter 6: Soul Doctor

"I didn't ask you to explain what's wrong, I told you to fix her!" Eustass' voice cuts through the fog in your mind, and you turn toward it as you groan. You're sore, in a dull throbbing kind of pain, which was as much a foreign feeling as the pleasure he had managed to push into you before.

The last thing you could remember clearly was making breakfast for the screamer, but nothing after that was coming to you. At least not with the demon roaring in the next room. Whoever he was yelling at seemed to be taking it all in stride, you could hear the tones of an even and unbothered voice, but you couldn't hear the second voice nearly as clear as Eustass'.

You rolled off the bed you were on, feeling a few brief sharp pains before you landed on the floor with a muffled grunt. As soon as you hit the floor alarms started going on, but you barely heard them over the sound of a couple stands falling over. Looking around you realize you had been in a hospital style bed, and you must've pulled some IVs and sensors off as you rolled out of the bed.

The door bursts open and a man – demon? – just a little shorter than Eustass steps inside. His skin seems marked with tattoos, but the throbbing pain in your body is making it hard to focus on details.

"Get her back on the bed, Eustass-ya." He says gruffly, walking around you, pushing buttons and silencing alarms.

"C'mon contractor." Eustass says, scooping you up off the floor like you weighed nothing. "Why'd you roll out of the bed like that?"

"Heard you," you say thickly. You reach out for him and grab his wrist weakly as the other man grabs your other hand and puts the IV back in. "Was trying to go and ask... what was going on." You close your eyes against the ache and look over at the other man.

His horns weren't as obvious as Eustass', but they were there now that you could focus on him a little. He looked exhausted and irritated, but you were certain the irritation was your fault. He was covered in tattoos, you hadn't seen incorrectly earlier, but the symbols looked familiar.

"Glyphs." You say it and then another pain throbs through you. "Fuck, Eustass why do I hurt?"

"You shook the screamer's hand and it exploded." His explanation barely makes sense to you, but you don't imagine he has a reason to lie. "I... I don't know exactly what happened, but you've got more soul in you now."

"It has to be more of her own soul." The other man states. From the tone of his voice it's obviously been part of their earlier argument. "If she'd been sucking pieces of soul from people this time with such a brief touch she would've exploded before she summoned you."

"What are the chances though?" Eustass questions. His voice is less loud now than it was out in the hall. "My second day here and we come across someone at the mall with a piece of her soul? Someone who decides to be my piece of ass? The fuckin' statistics on that."

"You were at the mall for hours."

"We were in the food court for twenty minutes."

"It makes sense if the person who stole my soul is watching me." You say, pushing Eustass back weakly before you lean over the side of the bed and hurl.

"... How much pain are you in?" The other demon questions.

"She hasn't felt pain or pleasure in twenty years, I don't think she can answer that."

"Enough I would like it to stop." You answer, laying back on the bed. You could feel the sweat slipping over your body from the pain. It was an odd relief, to be able to focus on the numerous little shifts of beads of sweat vs feeling nothing but pain.