four.

The End of the Beginning

~~~~~

"and if you never bleed, you're never gonna grow

"and if you never bleed, you're never gonna grow."
~~~~~

"Mommy!"

Tatum trudged down the stairs with as much attitude as she could muster. After being rudely awakened by her mother, her happy slumber was now replaced by annoyance, which was bound to go away once she was given a cup of coffee.

Coffee solved all her problems.

And her mother shared the same sentiment.

That was why as soon as Tatum stepped into the kitchen, the smell of coffee invaded her senses. She saw Jenna sipping at one cup with a fresh brewed pot behind her.

"You're playing with fire, Aunt J. You woke the gremlin up without bringing coffee as a peace offering."

Tatum narrowed her eyes at her baby cousin, who innocently raised his hands up in mock defense.

"Sorry, sorry," Jeremy muttered before turning his attention back to his bowl of cereal.

Tatum then walked through the kitchen, ruffling his hair as she made her to the coffee machine. She pulled a mug out of the cabinet above it and poured herself one. After she took a long sip of the coffee, she leaned against the countertop, listening to the conversation that was happening between her mom and her cousins.

"Look, Aunt J, I know I'm failing the class, but I am trying to get the grade back up."

Tatum raised her brows, intrigued.

"I'm not trying to be a hardass, but you need to be passing the class to get credit for it. Otherwise, you'll have to retake it next year since it's a requirement to graduate," Jenna replied. "It's either you get a tutor and pass Algebra II or you take it next year or in the summer."

"There are no tutors available."

"Really?" Jenna asked. "Because your teacher gave you some options and contacted me about it and everything. There were three perfectly fine students who offered to tutor you."

"Oh, come on!" Jeremy exclaimed. "None of them are good options. Sure, they have good grades, but they're insufferable. All of them equally as bad."

"Okay, look, I'll make you a deal," Jenna started. "If you can find someone in the next three days to tutor you, you can use them instead of the ones your teacher offered. If not, you have to pick someone off the list you've been given. Deal?"

"Deal."

Jenna nodded before she exited the room with the sound of steps on the stairs following soon after.

As soon as the young boy heard his aunt go up the stairs, he immediately looked towards his older cousin, who was sipping her coffee as she stared at him. However, as soon as Tatum saw the look in her eyes, she quickly began to protest.