Chapter 2 : Billy. Billy Hargrove

"I don't know Mom. He was just standing out there. He said he was fine, but I don't believe him."

"Did he say anything? To you or to the boys?"

"The only way we could know is if we ask Mike, but I don't think he would tell us. But whatever it was, he was scared. I'm sure of it."

It was the next morning and I was talking with Mom about what had happened at the arcade. Will didn't say anything to me, but I could just feel that something wasn't right. I was going to find out.

"Sofie, are you ready to go?" Jonathan asked, walking into the kitchen.

"Yeah, just let me get my bag."

I ran over to my room and got my bag. I checked my outfit out in the mirror one more time before walking back out.

"Sofie, don't forget. We have lab today." Mom reminded from the kitchen.

Of course we had lab today. Even though Brenner was dead, the nightmare never ended. Will and I had to go to the lab every week. Will for testing about the upside down, but I had to go for my powers. I guess a lab rat never stops being a lab rat.

"I'll see you later Mom. I love you." I said as I walked back into the kitchen and kissing her goodbye on the cheek.

Jonathan and I raced out to the car and jumped in.

"We're going to be late because of you." Jonathan complained from the drivers seat.

"Jonathan, school doesn't start for another hour. I don't understand what you mean by 'late'." I complained.

We bickered the entire way to school, like we always do. Once we pulled into the parking lot I got out of the car. I started walking towards the school with Jonathan when I heard someone calling me.

"Byers!"

I turned around as saw Steve. I smiled and waved at him. He signaled for me to go over to his car where he was sitting and I rolled my eyes.

" I'll see you in English." I said to Jonathan as I walked away.

"This better be good, Harrington." I sighed as I climbed into the car.

He pulled out a piece of paper and held it in front of himself.

"Can you help me?" He asked with pleading eyes.

"It depends. What am I helping you with?"

"Early admission letter for college..." He said slowly.

"Alright." I took the paper from him and read it over.

It wasn't a bad essay, it just needed a little bit of fixing.

"It's bad, isn't it." Steve muttered from beside me.

"No, it's not bad. It just needs a little fixing. Can I make a mark?"

"Yeah. Yeah, go ahead."

I started giving him a few comments about everything he had written. It was an okay essay but it could be better. I have always been in higher English classes so asking me for help would actually benefit him a lot.

"It's crap." Steve grumbled as he took the paper from me and threw it in the back seat.

"No, it's not crap Steve."

"You don't have to lie to me, Sof." 

"I'm n-"

There was a loud rev of an engine that broke us out of our conversation. Our heads snapped in the direction of the sound.