Chapter One: An Unexpected Meeting

(uhh hi yea its fluff here, tbh idk what this is HAHA. i watched the lorax today and this happened. i literally wrote it all in one writing session with no breaks, so... enjoy what my burnt out hyperfixated self can do in one sitting lmao.)

-

I stumbled into the desolate forest. Huge trees with fluffy pink tops were all around me. I blinked, taking everything in. I had never seen anything like it before...

I had been going about my day as usual. Nothing felt wrong, or strange. But... in the blink of an eye, I was here. This massive forest. It looked and felt like a safe haven... just so familiar. But where had I seen it before...?

I sighed. Maybe I hadn't. Maybe this was all just some crazy dream that I would soon wake up from. After all, I was completely lucid. Doesn't that mean you wake up quickly...?

Right...?

Suddenly, I heard a voice. A loud voice, but it sounded like it was coming from something small. It was gradually getting closer... and closer...

"Hey, woah, who are you?? Are you another one of these anti-animal people? If so, GET OUT!!"

It sounded too much like Danny Devito, but I ignored that fact. This tiny orange monster with a moustache much too big for its face had just come up and... talked to me?

"H-hey." I managed to reply, too confused by everything happening to say much else. The beast looked at me expectantly. I sighed.

"My name is Y/N, and... um... I don't really know what's happening right now." I murmured, looking at the grass beneath my feet. "Right, okay, well mister, whoever you are, my name is the Lorax. I speak for the trees. Chop any of them down, and you'll be cursed with disease."

I blinked. "Really?" I thought to myself. "Um, okay. You do you, Mr... Lorax." I replied awkwardly. I thought about asking him if this was a dream, but like any dream creature, I was sure he would say no. And anyways, this place looked pretty damn cool. I wanted to spend some more time here before I eventually woke up.

Suddenly, I heard someone approaching from behind me. The Lorax groaned. "Oh dear, look who it is. Beanpole." He muttered in annoyance. "Hey, uh, Lorax! Who is this guy?" I heard the person say. Their voice was masculine, but slightly high-pitched. It was cute.

As I turned around to see who was approaching, I felt my heart skip a beat. A tall, thin, handsome man was in front of me. I had to look up to see his face, so I wasn't staring blankly at his chest. He had to be WAY over 6 feet. He had short black hair and blue eyes. He was... adorable, to say the least. His clothes were, well, something, but I didn't mind at all. He had a pretty face, and I liked tall guys.

I tried stopping myself from romanticizing this man I had just met, and I waved. "Hi." I said quietly.

"THIS, Beanpole, is ANOTHER intruder, just like you! Look, you and him have ALREADY got something in common!" The Lorax rolled his eyes. He clearly didn't like the man, but I thought otherwise.

"I see. What's your name, man?" The tall man asked me casually. I felt my face reddening. "Oh, uh, Y/N! And you?" I replied with a nervous smile, trying to keep my cool. "I'm the Onceler." He replied with a grin. "What kinda name is the Onceler?" I wondered.

Then the Onceler looked back at the Lorax. "Well, you might not like this Lorax, but ya see... I sorta just gave permission to my mom to chop down the Truffula trees. That good with you?" He asked, a huge grin on his face. The Lorax blinked in disbelief. "I'm sorry, Beanpole? What did you say?? I, I thought we had a promise!!" He stammered in shock. The Onceler shrugged. "Yeah yeah, but how bad can it be? Its just a couple trees, no big damage done." He protested.

I felt very stuck-in-the-middle, but then I saw some little bears begin to peek out behind some of the strange trees. They looked angry.

"That's ENOUGH! Come on, Beanpole, you're better than this!! Don't make me send em all after you!" The Lorax threatened, glancing back at the animals behind him. The Onceler blinked, unphased. "Uh, look, it's just my family, ya know? I wanna make them proud. I know you wouldn't understand that, since you don't HAVE a family, but... uh..." He stammered, trailing off a little as the Lorax gave him a death stare.

"GET HIM!!!"

"Wuh-oh, Y/N, you're coming with me!" The Onceler shouted as he grabbed me by the arm. I flinched. "Hey, woah, why me?? You really have to drag me into this??? I just got here, I have no idea what's going on!" I protested as we started running. "No time to explain, Y/N! We can talk about it when we get back. These animals could beat the crap out of me... AND you!" He shouted back.

I sighed, thanking the fact I hadn't skipped leg day. I didn't even know where we were going. This dream was really putting me to work... it felt like REAL exercise. REAL pressure on my legs... and real physical contact. Was this actually real life...? I thought about this for a moment before cutting my thoughts off. It couldn't be real life, not at all. The trees were pink!

I brought myself out of my thoughts and back to reality, remembering that my main objective now was running. As I said, I had no idea where we were going, but I assumed it was somewhere safe. I at least hoped so...