Chapter Three: Cosiness

I woke up suddenly. I had somehow fallen asleep inside my dream...? Well, that was the last straw. This was most definitely NOT a dream. But then where the heck was I...?

Well, there was no time to worry about that. I tried to stand up, since I was SURE I had fallen asleep on the Onceler's house chair... but, nope. I was on his bed. I sat up instantly and looked out the window. It looked late, and so many of the Truffula trees had completely gone, leaving tree stumps behind.

I quickly went to where the Onceler was, and when he saw me, he smiled. "Good morning, Y/N. Or should I say, good evening...?" He greeted me. He looked very different... more confident, and he had changed clothes to something more... um... leader-like...? I wasn't sure how to describe it, but he certainly looked attractive. I didn't question it, anyways. Whatever this world was, it was weird enough.

"Dude, I woke up in YOUR bed. What happened? I swore I fell asleep over here..." I asked, confused. He smiled more. "Well, I saw ya fall asleep, and the chair looked uncomfortable. So, I put you in my bed, so you could rest better. You looked tired anyways, Y/N." He explained. I blushed furiously, embarrassed, but then I saw a half-knit Thneed on the floor. "Did you finish it, or...?" I asked quietly. He shook his head, a little awkwardly. "Uh, no, I didn't... I got a little, uh, stressed. We have factories of them now, though! Look!" He stammered, pointing out the window. It was dark out, but I could see factories pumping out grey smog. It didn't look environmentally friendly, but looking at the Onceler, I don't think he cared at that point.

"But, um, ya know, I was thinking..."

I looked back at him. "Yeah?" I asked. He smiled, blushing a little. I felt my heart skip a beat again.

"I made one a while ago. You want it? Instead of this half-assed one." He asked, taking out what looked like a pink jumper. So THATS what a Thneed was. An article of clothing.

"Okay!" I replied, and he handed me the Thneed. I looked at it for a moment before looking back at the Onceler. "Uh, I can tell you're meant to wear it, but... where exactly do I wear it?" I stammered awkwardly. He smiled. "Ya weren't listening to me earlier, were you?" He asked, smirking. I shook my head, embarrassed. I finally had to admit it.

"Well, you can wear it whatever way you want! It can literally BE anything. It doesn't have to be clothes, either, but I like to wear them as scarves." He explained. I pondered this. So a Thneed wasn't just a clothing article after all, huh?

I gently wrapped the soft material around my neck. It smelled like butterfly milk, as per usual for these things, but I did notice it smelled similar to the Onceler's bedsheets too. Not that I was OUTRIGHT smelling them, but I did notice it. It was nice and comforting... just like everything about the man. He must've worn it a few times before.

"Well, it looks like you like it, huh?" He asked, grinning. I smiled and nodded. "Yup." I said. It felt even softer than I remembered the material being. It made me feel unbelievably cosy.

The Onceler looked out the window and sighed. "What a musical number can do, eh... anyways, I think it's time to go to bed." He glanced back at me. "Um, are you okay with sleeping in my bed? I can sleep here; I don't want it to be uncomfortable for you. I know I've just met you, but..." He retained eye contact with me. He had nerves of steel now, for some reason. He smiled and blushed. "...I really like you, Y/N. Not in a romantic sense, o-of course, that'd be gay, but... in a platonic sense. So I don't want ya feeling bad at all." He stammered. I frowned a little. "What's so bad about being gay...?" I wondered, feeling my face heat up. The Onceler was definitely starting to get nervous around me... maybe he liked me too...

...nah, that'd be crazy.

"Well, I don't mind sleeping here. I'm sure it'd be fine; I really wouldn't mind at all." I said. The Onceler looked concerned. "Are you sure?" He asked worriedly. I smiled. "Yeah, I'll be fine." I declared. The Onceler smiled back. "Alright, if you're sure, Y/N."

Now – as an alpha male epic gamer, I was fine with my homies getting changed around me, although admittedly, it was a little awkward with this guy. I kinda just... looked away, and it ended up okay. I decided to sleep in my clothes though, since, well... I didn't have much else to wear.

As the Onceler went to bed, and I lay on the floor, I felt a bit cold. I had the Thneed the Onceler gave me though, so I felt safe.

It was quiet apart from the noise of the factories and chopping machines outside, so I could hear the Onceler's breathing slow as he fell asleep. I was extremely grateful he did not snore. Snorers always kept me up.

But yet, as I lay on the cold floor, even with the absence of snoring, I couldn't seem to fall asleep. I slowly got up, careful not to make a sound. I didn't want to wake the Onceler up, but... I couldn't fall asleep where I was. I just couldn't. I'd be up all night, and as I looked at a clock, I knew I'd be in for the long run if I did end up staying up.

I sighed, walked over embarrassingly to the Onceler's bed, and gently tapped him on the shoulder.

"Onceler...?"

"AGH, WHAT THE- oh. Hey Y/N."

He looked confused and tired, so I decided to explain my situation to him quickly before he fell back asleep. I didn't want to keep him up, either.

"Um, would it be okay if I slept in with you? I'm sort of, uh... cold." I muttered awkwardly, staring at the floor. I heard the Onceler giggle softly as I looked back up at him. "Yeah, of course! It's a small bed, but I'll stay away from you, I promise." He whispered, moving over. I felt my face turn pink.

"T-thank you..." I whispered.