Chapter Four: Going Home

I woke up the next morning, and saw that the Onceler was already up and dressed, but... he looked sad, almost. I quickly got up and out of bed, and soon saw what he was upset about through the window.

All of the Truffula trees... they were gone. Every last one.

"Good morning, Y/N..." The Onceler mumbled miserably. I frowned. I didn't like seeing him so sad. "What's wrong? You look upset." I asked, concerned. He sighed.

"The Lorax gave me a talking to earlier this morning. My family are all disappointed in me, I... all of the Truffula trees were cut down, and I'm gonna stop making any money."

My eyes widened. "Oh, I'm so sorry, Onceler..." I stammered, unsure of what else to say. He sighed again. "Agh, but it was bound to happen. I should've seen it coming, I'm so... stupid." He mumbled quietly. I shook my head. "No, you're not stupid! Don't beat yourself up like that. It was just dumb greed... we all get consumed by it sometimes." I protested, walking over closer to him.

He raised an eyebrow at me. "You sure, Y/N? I dunno, I feel awful..." He muttered. I smiled. "Don't feel awful, Onceler. I'm here for you. Whatever happens, it'll be okay."

"Gee. How cliché is that, huh?" He replied blankly, but I saw him blush. We were awful close now. I didn't say anything else, because I could tell he was trying to speak.

"I... look, Y/N, I know we just met literally a day ago, but thank you for being an actual supportive friend. I don't know where the hell you came from, but I'm sure glad you did." He sighed, smiling.

I grinned back, a burst of confidence suddenly appearing within me.

"A supportive friend? How about we make it more than that?"

I blushed furiously as I realised what I had just said, but the Onceler looked real into it.

"Mmm, you know, Y/N... I agree."

Suddenly, he pressed his lips against mine, and I felt my face instantly go redder. We locked each other in a passionate kiss, unwilling to let go. I felt free.

As I slowly took a step back, I felt pure love in my heart. "Huh... that was certainly something." The Onceler muttered with a smile. I blushed. "Yeah, it was..." I whispered, a little out of breath. I smiled back at him. "You're so sweet, Onceler. I... I think I love you. Yeah, it's only been a day, but... man, you're so hot." I sighed. He blushed too. "Damn, don't think I've ever heard that one before, and I definitely wasn't expecting to hear it from a guy first." He replied with a chuckle. "Mmm, but... I liked it." He added.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the Onceler's door. We were still very close to each other, and it was clear we were being intimate, so I quickly took another step back. The Onceler went and answered the door, since it was still locked from keeping out the animals the other day.

"Hello...?"

The door opened on... nobody. There was a piece of paper on the ground outside though. When the door opened, I saw how bad the outside really was. Everything was grey. Boring. All of the animals I could see looked miserable and sad. I frowned. I could see the Onceler felt bad, too.

He picked up the piece of paper. It had some writing on it... it looked like a letter. He brought it inside and shut the door.

"Hey... Y/N? You might want to see this."

As he handed the letter to me, and I gave it a read, I felt my eyes widen. It read:

"Dear Y/N. Please get the heck out. You're in the wrong reality. Go back to yours, so this story can play out how its supposed to play out. Yours sincerely, Unknown."

"I don't really get what it means by the reality things." The Onceler mumbled, sitting down. "But I guess whoever sent you that doesn't want you to be here." He added, looking at the floor a little. I could tell he was sad I had to leave.

"It's okay..." I replied, still slightly confused by the letter's contents. I wasn't exactly sure how I was meant to get home, but then I flipped the letter over. It read:

"P.S: you can get back to your reality by pressing this."

There was a circle, very clearly drawn in pencil on the back of the letter. It said: "Press me." I blinked. "That's a drawing... not a button. Is it seriously supposed to work?" I wondered in disbelief.

I looked back at the Onceler. "Okay, well, I'm gonna try this." I declared. I smiled at him. "I'll miss you." I sighed. He frowned. "I'm gonna miss you too, Y/N. I wish you could stay." He replied sadly. I glanced back at the letter. "Yeah, me too... but I don't think it's safe for me to stay." I murmured.

Slowly, I approached the Onceler again and gave him a peck on the cheek. He blushed. "Maybe one day we'll cross paths again." I whispered softly.

As I stepped away from him, I looked at the button. It looked fake, but after all the crazy stuff that had happened over the past few days, I wasn't too surprised. I went to press it, but then I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned back around, and the Onceler had stood in front of me. He looked... flustered, almost.

"Y/N, I... I like you. A lot. Too much for this." He sighed. "I just... I have nobody right now. Nobody to support me. I'll be so sad with you gone." I saw a tear forming at his eye, and without hesitation, I brought him into a warm embrace. "You'll be okay, Onceler." I whispered comfortingly.

"I'll see you again someday. I just know I will."