Chapter One

Gabriel nervously fidgeted in his seat as he rode in the back seat of Aunt Emerald's car. She had picked him up from the airport  and they had barely exchanged words. Aunt Emerald seemed to be a quiet woman, and Gabriel didn't know what to say. So they drove in silence until the car finally stopped outside a large green Victorian house.

“Well," said Aunt Emerald, "we are home."

"I like your house. It's... big," Gabriel said, gathering his bags.

Aunt Emerald chuckled softly, "You haven't even seen it yet."

The yard was a bit overgrown, and ivy and flowering vines twined over every possible surface. It looked like fairies might start peeking out of the bushes at him. A large tree covered in white blossoms that looked like snowflakes stood at the center of the yard. The tree seemed to give off a faint glow. The grass under his shoes was damp and soft and green and lush, and everything about the yard felt alive in Gabriel's mind. It was a strange thing, this feeling. It felt like coming home although he had never seen this house before in his life.  He felt comfortable here, like he could stay forever. Like he belonged here. And he hadn't even seen the inside of the house yet.

Aunt Emerald unlocked the front door –which was brown and wooden and had a moon carved on it – and said, "Welcome to my home, please come in."