chapter 9

warning: smut

But all intentions to tell Lisa the truth does not go to plan the next day.

Because at 8am in the morning, Jennie finds herself with her friends in the Manobans' office.

"Girls, you have no idea how thankful I am for the four of you," Mrs Manoban walks behind them, pulling them all in for a hug. "I really am sorry for cutting time off your vacation."

The Manobans had trouble finding enough people to hire for their carnival, resulting to asking them for help instead.

Jennie leans her head on Mrs. Manoban's shoulder. "Please, Ma. Helping you out today is the least we can do for allowing us to stay at your resort for free."

"Exactly." Lisa adds, pressing a kiss on her mother's cheek. "Don't worry about it, mommy."

Mrs Manoban smiles. "Your father and I just couldn't find people on time." The older woman walks back to her desk and searches for something in her bag. "Here, I've already assigned you all to a station." She says, giving them a sheet of paper. She looks at Rosie quizzingly. "Rosie, dear. Will your girlfriend be joining us?"

Rosie shakes her head politely, a sad smile on her lips. "I don't think she'll be able to join us, Mrs Manoban. She's um-" The Blonde clears her throat. "She's busy." Jennie frowns, eyeing her friend with concern. This isn't the first time she's reacted this way about her girlfriend. Lisa also mentioned the fight she got caught in yesterday. She watches as Jisoo rests her hand on Rosie's lap- she probably knows something. Jennie decides to ask about it later, relaxing back into her seat.

"That's okay, my dear." Mrs Manoban stands up from her seat. "Ah, here," she pulls out four freshly folded clothes from beneath the table. "Are your uniforms."

"Uniforms?" Lisa groans. "Mom," she whines. "You couldn't have chosen anything cuter than this?" Lisa frowns, unfolding the brown shirt, pulling it towards her chest.

It's not too bad, Jennie thinks, but Lisa's artistic eye would say otherwise.

"Sorry, sweetie. But everyone needs to wear these today." She says with an apologetic smile. "Please order anything you like from the menu, it's on us. Stay in my office for as long as you want." The four girls nod. Mrs Manoban walks over to Lisa, giving her a kiss on the cheek. "Love you, sweetie. I'll see you guys later." The four of them wave her a goodbye.

Jennie rests her head on Lisa's shoulder, closing her eyes. "I'm so tired." She sighs. Lisa chuckles, wrapping her arm around her, kissing her forehead.

"You don't have to do this if you're tired. I'm sure mom will understand." Lisa rubs her arm, another kiss on her forehead.

Jennie shakes her head. "No it's fine." She moves her head off Lisa's shoulder, now facing her. "I just didn't get to sleep much last night."

She spent most the night in deep thought, with Lisa's words echoing loudly in her mind. The guilt she's blissfully ignored the past few days has finally caught up to her.

But she isn't necessarily lying to Lisa. At least, not in the same way it's defined in her books. Lying would mean purposely stating something completely false for ill intended reasons. And that's not what she was doing.

She's simply waiting for the right time to tell Lisa the truth. That isn't lying. She's waiting to be ready; waiting for the right moment.

But she can't deny the small bit of anxiety that spikes up with the mere thought of telling her the truth.

She's scared.

Scared. Terrified. Because she'd also have to confess her feelings; that she's been head over heels for Lisa for as long as she remembers, and that isn't easy. It's a secret she's held so tightly to her chest for years. The secret acts as a thick layer around her heart, shielding her, protecting her.