chapter 4

"You're ignoring me."

Jennie forces herself not to roll her eyes. She continues folding her clothes, packing it inside her suitcase.

"Jennieeee," Lisa whines, tearing her away from her thoughts. Lisa walks over to Jennie, kneeling down by her suitcase. "Talk to meeee."

Jennie ignores her, zipping her suitcase shut, closing it with more rigour than intended. Lisa's presence wasn't needed right now.

What was she even thinking? Agreeing to being her fake girlfriend? Helping the love of her life- no, her soulmate, get with her best friend?

This was stupid.

So stupid.

Jennie gets up, rolling her suitcase by the door. She walks over to the restroom, checking for anything she's forgotten to pack.

"You haven't spoken to me in days," Lisa says, a frown etched on her lips as she stands by the toiler door, leaning her body onto the doorframe. "And people've been asking me where my girlfriend is."

Jennie's stomach lurches at the word girlfriend. She turns her body, now facing Lisa. Their eyes meet again after 2 days. And for a second, she feels as though she's seeing Lisa again, for the first time. And with Lisa's mouth slightly agape, she gathers Lisa's feeling the same way too.

Lisa's eyes are a dark shade of brown in the untrained eye, but if you look closer, you'd see the light brown tint near the pupil of her eye. Her dark brown hair perfectly falling down her shoulders, her bangs falling just above her perfectly shaped eyebrows. Her lips plump, a lighter shade of red.

Jennie feels her heart race at the sight of Lisa.

"Ni," Lisa's voice is gentle, and just like that, she feels her anger slightly slip away. She takes Jennie's hand in her own, pulling her closer. "Can we talk please?"

Jennie curses her heart for flipping at Lisa's gentleness. But even then, she refuses to pull her eyes away, terrified this moment will end.

But it will.

In a week- if they're successful- Lisa will leave. She'll choose Rosie, not her.

And with that, Jennie pulls her hand away faster than lightning, like Lisa's hand was made of fire, burning her.

She brushes past Lisa and walks toward her room. She can't fall for that. She can't let her heart win anymore.

For a second, she's convinced she saw Lisa's smile falter.

"Oww," Lisa whines, rubbing her shoulder. "Jennie please—"

Jennie finally turns around, anger present in her chest again. "You're an asshole, Lisa."

Lisa flinches, taken aback. "What- why would you say that—"

Jennie shakes her head. "No, you don't get to speak or make me feel bad." She says. "You're going to listen to me because i'm only going to say this once."

Lisa gulps and nods.

"You cornered me and forced me to be your pretend girlfriend IN PUBLIC," she yells, and God, they never fight, not like this, but the anger's been bubbling in her blood for the past 2 days.

"While a quarter of our school's population was watching."

Lisa deflates, realisation finally taking over her.

"You made sure I wasn't able to say no." Jennie says. "And that's not fair, Lisa."

"Jennie, i'm—"

Jennie raises her hand up, silencing Lisa. "I'm not done."