Chapter 13: Time's Arrow: Nightwolf

The six of them take in the battle occurring around them.

"When have we arrived?" Shang Tsung asks.

"Immediately after the time merger, yes? The battle between Kotal and Shao Kahn?" Fujin asks.

"It appears to be that way, brother." Raiden says.

Nightwolf stares into the distance and points, placing a hand on Shang Tsung's shoulder as he does so.

"No. Look!" Nightwolf says.

From his point of view, he has spotted Jade picking the lock of the stock holding Kotal. After a moment, she finishes and helps him to throw the stock off. She then turns to intercept a sword strike from a Shao Kahn loyalist, punching him across the face, kicking him in the knee and knocking him over with a roundhouse kick. Behind her, Kotal punches a soldier across the face, drills his fist into his stomach, then turns his back and throws the soldier over his shoulder, slamming him hard into the ground.

"It's much later than that. This is Kitana's battle with Shao Kahn." Nightwolf points out.

"Then we are almost out of time. We must escape quickly." Shang Tsung suggests as he points over to a nearby open trap door, leading down to the fighting pits beneath the Koliseum.

Younger Manado then speaks up.

"Why not help the others in defeating Shao Kahn?" Younger Manado asks.

"Changing this battle's outcome could cause Cetrion to claim the crown earlier than expected." Shang Tsung's points out.

"And guarantee our failure." Fujin adds.

"Then let's not waste anymore time." Manado says.

"Let's go!" Nightwolf urges.

The six of them then run off to the trap door. As they approach, a nearby Shao Kahn soldier slams his sword through the skull of a Tarkatan, killing him, but the soldier does not look over to the trap door, which they reach without impediment.

Kollector, who is fighting with a Kotal loyalist, then parries several sword strikes from the soldier with his flail, then counters with several slashes across the leg, chest and back with the knifes held by three of his four main arms. With the soldier stunned, Kollector holds up his flail and magically shoots it outward, exploding the soldier's head in a violently gory display.

Kollector looks around the battle just in time to spot Nightwolf entering the trap door, followed closely by Shang Tsung, Fujin, Raiden and the Manados. His eyes widen as he recognises the scheming sorcerer. Another Kotal loyalist attempts to stab him from behind, but Kollector shanks him through the top of his head without even turning to face him. He pulls out his knife and snarls menacingly, walking toward the trap door.

In the interior below the Koliseum. Shang Tsung, Fujin, Nightwolf, Raiden, and the Manados walk through the hallways lined with prison cages. As they walk past one, they are suddenly started as an Outworld beast, a creature resembling a giant rat but with the jaw of a saber-toothed tiger, rushes at them, slamming into the cage bars. It screeches and claws in an attempt to maul them, but cannot get past the metal in its way. After taking a moment, the six continue on, with Shang Tsung crushing a smaller rat underneath his boot.

"We escaped the battle undetected." Shang Tsung says.

Unbeknownst to them, Kollector sneaks up from behind.

"Shang Tsung!" Kollector calls out.

All of them whirl around at his voice, getting into fighting stances.

"Or not." Fujin says.

"Where have you been hiding? You consort with Earthrealmers now?" Kollector asks.