Chapter 15: Winds of Change: Fujin

On Shang Tsung's island. Shang Tsung, Sindel, Fujin, Raiden, the Manados and Nightwolf all walk through the passage leading to the main courtyard.

As they approach the end of the passage, they pause to gaze upon the grisly sight of 5 corpses hanging from the rafters. The corpses are Shaolin monks, hanged by their necks. Their skin is horrifically decayed, but has not yet completely rotted away, leaving their eyes intact but a dull yellow-gray in colour. Shang Tsung looks on them with an expression of, for a change, genuine, remorse.

"They couldn't go on. I am... touched by their devotion." Shang Tsung says.

One the rotted monk's eyes falls from its head and lands on the floor. Sindel walks on, unimpressed. Shang Tsung follows her, still upset, while Nightwolf looks doubtful. Fujin, Raiden and the Manados remain impassive.

"I question their judgment." Nightwolf says.

"Have neither of you any compassion?" Shang Tsung asks.

"Not for fools who follow you." Fujin says.

"Are we not following him now?" Sindel asks.

Shang Tsung smiles at the remark. Nightwolf and Fujin exchange glances of suspicion at her words, as do Raiden and the Manados.

As they walk out into the courtyard, a purple blur of light speeds around them all, moving in a circle to box them in. After a moment, Fujin shoots out a wind blast in front of him, catching the blur and shoving it back. The revenant, now identifiable as Kabal, slides to a kneeling halt. He picks himself up and approaches them.

"You may run like the wind, Kabal, but I command it. You should have devised a better plan." Fujin points out.

"There's more to come." Revenant Kabal says.

From behind a wall, the revenant Jade emerges. She approaches the seven of them and slams her staff into the ground. She picks it up and twirls it over her head, generating green energy in a circle above her. She once again slams the staff into the ground, and the green energy pulses from it in shockwaves into the surrounding area.

"Rise in Shinnok's name!" Revenant Jade commands.

The energy reaches the hanging corpses from earlier, which suddenly revive and start freeing themselves from the ropes they are hanging from. One corpse's flesh is so rotted that it decapitates itself before it can free its neck, but this does not inhibit the rest of the body from standing up along with the others.

The Shaolin zombies, along with five others from the surrounding area, approach Fujin, Nightwolf, Shang Tsung, Raiden, Sindel and the Manados, growling at them with vocal cords long rotted away and surround them in a semi-circle. Jade also walks up to them, pointing her staff in their direction.

"You will be returned to the void. Not even she can help you." Revenant Jade says.

The Shaolin monks roar and charge. Nightwolf parries one's strikes and kicks, while Shang Tsung blocks swipes from Jade's staff with the metal braces on his forearm. Raiden counters a double strike from a zombie and throws the zombie towards the Manados, who both perform a ax kick, tearing the zombie in half. Fujin shoots a zombie through the head at point blank range with his miniature crossbow, killing it, and follows with three more shots at Kabal. The Black Dragon deftly avoids them with his super speed and gets into fighting range.

"Too slow! I expected better, Fujin." Revenant Kabal says.

They then fight. With a speed enhanced by magic and a troublesome weapon in the hook swords he wields, Kabal would be a frightening encounter against an ordinary human. But Fujin is a god, and is as fast as the wind he commands. His millennia of fighting experience is brought to the fray and he succeeds in bringing Kabal down in the end.