6. Parade of the Obtuse

The following months passed by in a flurry.

Pop had been dissatisfied with Vienna's past tutors' education. An era began with what Vienna thought as the 'conveyor belt' of the tutors.

'Uncle Wolf' and 'Aunt Sev' helped by reaching out across the Continent for the educated, which led to a flock of the lesser nobility arriving at the estate.

These nobles came from those who aided the people during the Great War indirectly. Such nobility helped by offering monetary, supply, and/or information-gathering-related backing. Each new royal in the newly made kingdoms kept a wary eye on them. If those nobles had once betrayed friends and family, what would stop them from doing it again when opportunity struck?

The aristocrats who had joined the rebellion themselves, like Vienna's mother, had gained higher nobility titles. With the new government set up, it was known throughout the nobility that their job was to serve the public, not to rule them.

The tutors that answered the call fell into two categories.

First, there were the very young seeking to gain experience. Vienna found that her knowledge would surpass theirs.

The reactions to her advanced knowledge were mixed.

Vienna found herself sighing each time she heard:

"Did your father practice that answer with you?" or "Oh my, those words are bigger than you are!"

A wry grin would be their only answer.

The second category was, however, far too rude.

Vienna herself would soldier on, trying to learn from them even as they talked down towards her. When caught by, Pop wasn't as patient.

When Vienna was five, a tutor came from the Yundilla mountains in the Venaragia kingdom.

The region had fascinated her when she'd first heard of it from the traders that would pass through the hamlet. The crystal-like snow that fell upon the red rocky mountains of Yundilla never stopped sounding fantastical.

When the Terran first arrived, he looked upon their simple grounds with narrowed eyes. His nose wrinkled as he came upon their steps and found he had to wipe his shiny boots on their wickerwork mat at the front door.

He was very slim, skin nearly pink. He looked as if a wild wind could snap his body.

As Vienna showed him to his quarters, her eyes shone. "What is the Snow Folk commerce like in Yundilla?"

Her eyes were wide as she looked up at her new tutor.

His beige lips wrinkled in a withheld sneer, "I don't associate with those ruffians."

One eyebrow rose as she looked over at him again. His paleness was indicative of a more sedentary lifestyle, of life not stepping out from his comfortable noble rooms.

"Surely you are aware of your own culture."

She couldn't miss the sneer this time.

His slightly furry lip quivered. The failure of a mustache looked like a dead caterpillar on his lip.

As they met the next morning in the Thorne library, the tutor grumbled as he looked around the dim room. Light from the only window fell across the wooden plank flooring.

Even while he frowned, Vienna couldn't help the bright grin that spread across her lips. She strode forward, her booted feet clipping against the smooth stone floors. The library was the pride of their home.