17. Victory Day Festival

"Little flower, I can hold you if you like?"

Vienna shook her head but reached up to hold his hand. His warm calloused fingers tightened around hers bringing her some comfort.

The Capital was alive for the Victory Day celebrations but Vienna couldn't allow herself to relax. Every glimpse of blonde hair made her more jumpy.

"Little flower?"

Vienna squeezed her Pop's hand tight.

They walked down the cobblestone streets heading toward the center of the city where the conservatory greenhouse sat. It hosted all of the Capital's farmland during the wintertime.

The beautiful glass structure rose above their heads as they neared the town center. In front of it was a wooden stage.

"Will Aunt Sev and Uncle Wolf give speeches?"

Her father shook his head, "Today is a day for the people. It's a celebration of their freedom, a return to the old ways, and a day for rebuilding."

The grand event opened up with Prime Minister Roark announcing the year's new innovators. The innovators stepped forward to show off their new designs and ideas. Students from the academy showed demonstrations. The Ôkren shared their harvests. The artificers shared their licensed Pōrteacaleum made products and answered requests.

"Sev and Wolf will walk among the people today."

Vienna understood it was a way to show their people they were just like them.

After the presentations, her father walked her along the streets looking at the beautiful celebration decorations adorning the stonework of the Capital. The fluttering flags of emerald and gold and the happy chatter of the crowds helped Vienna be distracted for a short while even if her mind's eye was always looking out for a certain golden-haired maiden.

"Duke Thorne!"

Pop turned to find a man striding their way, his family behind him had arms filled with the fresh harvest.

"Roland!"

Her father and the terran with light brown hair grinned at each other embracing before her father greeted the family as well.

"This must be Asena's daughter." Roland turned toward Vienna who gave a smile in return.

"Good day, I'm Vienna."

Roland's family nodded toward Pop and Vienna before they all adjourned to Roland's home. Pop had offered to help plant the seedlings they had received from the festivities.

Roland's three young children pulled at Vienna's skirts as they lead her through the home to their back garden.

Excitedly they pointed out their garden pots, while Vienna nodded along.

Through an open window, the voices of the parents and Pop drifted through.

"Perhaps the rumors were true about Asena's family after all."

"Your Vienna is quite small for her age. If she had Okren descent it would be understandable."

Pop's voice was too low to hear so Vienna bent back over the pots. Kneeling beside them she got lost in her thoughts as her hands followed old patterns Frey taught her. Her hands sank deep into the terra as they dug a hole before placing the seedling in and then patting the soil around it. Breathing in the smell of watered soil made her muscles relax.

The tree branches that lined the small walled courtyard swayed in the breeze letting her breathe a sigh of relief. It felt almost like the branches were arms reaching out towards her seeking her out to provide her comfort during her time of uncertainty.

Her tears had wet the ground of Terra for many days after that first meeting with Adeena Nesrin. The flower faces turned up to the sunlight as she patted the ground around them. She secured the blossom stems in place before checking on the vegetable patches. Her fingers trailed across the leaves and the dirt beds to make sure that the roots were deep and steady like Frey had taught her.

There was an expectant feeling in the air at home as if the very world around her was holding its breath waiting for something to occur.

The wind whipped around her, cooling her cheeks and refreshing her after her hard work.

Vienna came out from behind the walled garden wiping her hands on the rag provided by the household. Her gaze raised up and met the dark gaze of the crown prince across the way.

So intent as always, she could never know what he was thinking.

She tensed and the moment seemed to freeze in time. She could only watch as a golden-haired girl slip her hand in the prince's and rise on her tiptoes to kiss him on his cheek.

The girl was all too familiar.

Vienna covered her mouth to stop the scream that threatened to escape her as she watched as the prince grabbed onto Adeena with both hands.

It was happening.

Everything she hoped would not.

[Special POV Ravven Basilius]

Ravven had seen Vienna and her father walking through the streets. He had felt an odd dissonance as if something were out of place, like the wrong puzzle piece placed in the holding space. He felt the nervous energy of the day affecting him even as he smiled and walked alongside his parents that day.

Then it all changed.

A girl came up to him, far too familiar, a girl he'd seen in his nightmares of the Other. She came up to him with a simpering smile and a soft voice. He was going to walk past her. He hoped only to ignore the girl who'd ruined another life. She didn't let him as she walked right up to him, slipped her hand in his and kissed his cheek.

"Hello, my prince."

Every inch of him froze. He felt coldness run through his veins as he gained the memories of the Other this time filling in the blanks that he'd had from the set he gained from little Vienna all those years ago.

He saw the first meeting with the girl at a ball. He saw their romance unfolding like foul play in front of his mind's eye. He saw how he turned on his own family because of the girl. He had grasped her like he was some unloved child desperate for attention and it only brought doom. He shook his head and he would sort through the rest later, he grabbed onto her arms and pushed her away.

"I'm not yours. Nor will I ever be again."

From the corner of his eyes, he saw a small figure running away. He felt his gut clench as he feared what she might have seen.

[End of Special POV Ravven Basilius]