3*

Chapter Three - Grieving

Seated in the study looking blankly at the wall, Josephine Dutton was just numb. No anger, or sadness. Numb to it all.

She had never had to grieve like this. At least not according to her memory. And because of that this was all new and she had no way of handling it.

"What are you doing? Everyone's waiting for you." Jamie asked as he walked into the study. He had been tasked with finding Joey and getting her outside.

Josephine dressed in all black sat in the seat watching the imaginary fire burn in the fireplace crackle. "Go without me." she stated, wanting to stay in her delusions a little longer. Her eyes not moving to look at Jamie.

"Are you kidding. Dad will come in here and rip you out by your hair. Let's go!" Jamie urged. He looked past the double doors of the study, looking through the window to find everyone gathered around, becoming impatient.

"You don't need me."

"You know how these funerals work. Dad's gonna want us by his side. And with Kayce acting out-"

"No Jamie. I don't know how these funerals work. I haven't been to one." Josephine fiercely responded.

"You were at mom's-"

"I was barely four. I don't recall being at Evelyn's funeral."

"Don't you dare call her that. Have more respect for the woman who raised you." Jamie fought back. He held her memories fondly and wouldn't stand for the disrespect.

"She gave birth to me. I wouldn't call her someone who raised me. She was only around for a mere fraction of my life. Sorry I don't have a connection with her as my mother." Josephine angrily spat. She stood up from the chair, heading towards the stairs when Jamie pulled her arm towards the direction of the front door.

"You lost a mother. Dammit!" Jamie shouted, pulling Josephine down to the floor. It always angered him to talk about their mother. He felt responsible for her death.

It was even more frustrating when someone spoke poorly of her. Especially Josephine.

"I DIDN'T LOSE A MOTHER! It's not possible when I NEVER KNEW HER!" Josephine shouted at Jamie who just had a blank expression on his face. "I haven't lost anything. Not until I lost Lee. You can't push that stupid bullshit in my face!"

"We all lost our mother, whether you want to admit it or not." Jamie sternly stated before walking out of the room. Josephine out of anger grabbed the vase on the side table and smashed it to the floor. She let out a deep-belly scream, releasing all her anger at once.

The scream was so powerful everyone could hear it from outside of the cabin.

"Do you want me to go check on her?" Rip asked stepping forward. John noted his second oldest son walking out, buttoning his suit jacket. Acting like a true lawyer, his face revealing nothing about what had just went down.