10

Chapter Ten - Playing Dirty

Hanging around the barn, Tate quietly walked over, a smile on his face. "Where's your dad?" Josephine asked, looking around.

"Went out with grandpa. Said you'd watch me." Tate revealed.

"Well, now did he?" Josephine laughed. "Why don't we go do something fun, shall we?" she asked. Tate eagerly nodded his head, following her around the ranch.

"Hey cowboy." Josephine greeted, Rip smiled at her. "Could use some help entertaining."

"Is that so? Tate, come and join me." Rip shouted. Josephine nodded at Tate who immediately climbed over the wooden fence, joining Rip in the middle of the pen.

The horse began to circle around, getting all his pent up energy out.

"Why do you do that?" Tate curiously asked.

"Well I want to get all the shit out of him before I get on him." Rip explained as the horse circled around the two of them. Josephine watched from the side.

"You owe me a dollar!" Tate enthusiastically shouted.

"I don't owe you a fucking dollar." Rip quickly commented back.

"I'll pay up, Tate. For Rip." Josephine commented, smiling at Rip. The horse slowed down and Rip was able to leash him to bring him back to the stable.

"Get me the gate?" Rip asked and Tate did as he was told, running off towards it.

He'd make a great rancher one day, Josephine was sure of it. He was surely a Dutton.

Tate closed the gate behind Rip, before rushing back over to Josephine. "Did you see that Aunt Joey?" Tate asked, jumping up and down. His energy was unmatched.

"Sure did. Soon enough you'll be a real cowboy!" Josephine commented, roughing up his hair. She smiled at Tate before smiling one last time at Rip who was headed back to the barn.

"I definitely want to be a cowboy." Tate eagerly stated.

"You most certainly take after your dad...You know, you should ask Grandpa for a horse. If you're gonna be a real cowboy."

"You're right." Tate said, conjuring up an idea on how to ask him.

Just as the two were going to find some sort of other entertainment, Kayce and John had returned from their ride.

Tate headed towards John while Josephine walked up to Kayce. "So, you have me babysitting, now?" she asked Kayce.

"Sorry. I just told him to find someone." Kayce explained.

"Well, you're lucky he found me. I convinced him to ask Dad for a horse." Josephine smiled.

"Well, great." Kayce sighed watching as Tate talked to their father. "Monica's gonna hate to hear this one."