12

Chapter 12 ~ Dead or Alive

Boredom didn't happen often on the ranch. However, Josephine had found herself in this taboo state of having nothing to fill her time.

She was still healing from the "accident" a couple of weeks ago. Normally she would spend these types of nights with Rip but she was still avoiding him.

Josephine figuring the other wranglers could surely provide her some sort of entertainment, she made her way towards the bunker.

"Where y'all headed?" Josephine asked Jimmy who was loading up a truck. She was internally upset to see them getting ready to leave.

"Taking care of something." he angrily replied.

"Oh, I have a feeling it's more of a someone." Josephine said. Jimmy looked up, the look on his face confirming to Josephine it was a someone rather than a something.

"Come on, Jimmy! We don't have all night!" Rip shouted from the driver seat of his truck. His head turned around to find Josephine talking to Jimmy.

He could sense something was wrong with her. But Rip was going to play the same game she was. Ignoring each other.

"I'm ready!" Jimmy shouted back. He didn't say anything else to Josephine and jumped in the driver seat. The two truck's taillights flashed on before they pulled away leaving Josephine all alone and back in the same predicament she was in just a few minutes ago.

The moon barely illuminated the dark paths of the ranch as Josephine walked around. Thankfully for Josephine she knew her way around, with or without light.

Her feet kicked up some dirt as she gently kicked a rock forward, treating it like a tiny soccer ball.

"Tate? What are you doing out here so late?" Josephine asked noticing the young boy by himself. He was walking out of the main cabin and running towards the barn and pens.

"I forgot to feed my horse." he commented running ahead. "Grandpa told me to come out here."

"You need help?" she offered.

"No, I'm okay." Tate beamed, his little feet running around.

"Okay then." Josephine said. She began to walk away from the barn but the horses inside began to stir, almost like they were trying to alert her to someone.

She tried to look around but the darkness made it hard to see if anyone was lurking. She turned her back to see if Tate was okay.

Tate was gone and a hand quickly covered her eyes. Before she could even let out a single scream, a cloth was shoved into her mouth.

Her body was harshly dragged a few feet away. She tried to thrash her body around but ended up dropping her phone on the ground, digging herself into a deeper hole that she wasn't going to be able to escape from.