13

Chapter Thirteen ~ I Blame Myself

Everyone pushed the blame onto themselves. John should have went out with Tate to the barn. Rip shouldn't have left that night. Kayce should have knew sooner who had taken Tate.

"Come on. The sun's been up for hours." John commented as he walked into Josephine's room. She had been cooped up in it for the last 48 hours. Not surfacing once.

Josephine didn't answer him. John pulled the curtains back, letting light in. He then turned to his daughter to find she looked horrible. Her eyes had dark bags surrounding them and her bruises from the last attack were still prominent. "You look horrible." he commented out loud.

"I haven't slept since I got here." Josephine revealed. "I just physically can't. No matter how hard I try. I close my eyes and I'm brought back to that place." Josephine continued. She got out of her bed, wandering into her bathroom where she changed her clothes.

"Come have some breakfast." John commented as she came out in fresh clothing.

"Not hungry." she quickly commented back.

"Can we talk about it, Joey? Anything really." John begged.

"I'd rather not." Josephine sassed as she pulled the covers back over her. She blocked out her father, making him give up and leave the room.

Josephine just laid in the bed, trying her best to think about anything but what had just taken place the last couple of days.

Fed up with her mind wandering and causing her more worry, she got up and dressed for the day, hoping it would provide some sort of distraction.

Josephine wandered out to the barn, her hands in her pocket, hesitating every step she took.

"Here, let me help you with that." Josephine commented as she saw her dad loading a wheelbarrow full of hay.

"No, Joey. We don't need your help today." John sternly said in front of everyone as she wandered further into the barn.

"And why's that?" Josephine asked, taken back.

"Until you talk about it I can't have you doing work. It's a work hazard. Go back inside." he instructed, pointing to the lodge.

"Work hazard." Joey scoffed. "What do you want to talk about?" Josephine asked in a nasty tone. "Huh? The torture I endured? 'Cause I doubt you really want to hear that. How about the deals I made to ensure they didn't lay a finger on your grandson. Or how I took a brutal beating for your other daughter by mistake. Or how I watched them kill her assistant right in front of me. Or is it the baby I was going to have out of wedlock, because I know that pisses you off. So what is it?" Josephine yelled, causing a scene.

John Dutton sighed. "Look, I wish I could take it all back-"

"Oh really? I've been wishing a lot too, dad. I WAS WISHING TOMORROW WOULDN'T COME! Is that what you want to hear? I am wishing I never even came back. I should have changed my number and stayed away for good. It would have been for the best. And I mean that." Josephine shouted at her father who stood in the middle of the empty horse stable.