Chapter 8

Third P.O.V.

A new student was coming to Nevermore and it was the talk of the school. The only one who didn't care for gossip was Valentina. She was sitting in front of the fountain reading on the ground, with Bianca and the other sirens, sitting in the fountain.

"Nevermore was founded in 1791 to educate people like us. Outcasts, freaks, monsters, fill in your favorite marginalized group here." Enid said.

"You can save the sanitized sales pitch. I don't plan on staying here for long." Wednesday said.

"Why not?" Enid asks curiously.

"This was my parents' idea." Wednesday said before she noticed a picture of her mother. "Oh look, there's my mother smirking at me."

Enid was so confused but didn't say a word.

"They've been looking for an excuse to send me here. It's all part of their nefarious plan." Wednesday said.

"What plan?" Enid asks.

"To turn mee into a version of themselves." Wednesday answered.

"In that case, perhaps you can clear something up. Rumour's been swirling around that you killed a kid at your old school and your parents pulled strings to get you off." Enid gossiped.

"Actually, it was two kids, but who's counting?" Wednesday said.

"Apparently you." Valentina mumbled after she heard the new girl say.

"Are you listening to Sinclair and new girl talk?" Bianca asks.

"Yup." Valentina said popping the 'p'.

"Welcome to the quad." Enid said as they appear in the quad where all the students were.

"It's a pentagon." Wednesday bluntly said.

"The whole snarky goth girl thing might have worked at normie school, but here things are different." Enid remarked.

"Ah the bratty werewolf has a back bone." Valentina said in a bored tone.

"We've talked about this." Bianca said.

"I know, but when it comes to her it's hard." Valentina said.

"Let me give you a wiki on Nevermore's social scene." Enid starts.

"I'm not interested in participating in tribal adolescent clichés." Wednesday said.

"Well, then use it to fill your obviously bottomless pit of disdain." Enid told her. "There are many flavours of outcasts here, but the four main cliques are Fangs, Furs, Stoners and Scales."

Wednesday only nods.

"Those are the Fangs, AKA vampires. Some of them literally been here for decades. That bunch of knuckleheads are Furs, AKA, werewolves. Like me!" Enid said.

The wolves how causing Bianca to cover her girlfriend's ears.

"Thanks babe." Valentina said.

"Full moons get pretty loud around here. That's when Furs wolf out. I suggest you pick up noise-canceling headphones." Enid told her.

"I'm assuming Scales are sirens?" Wednesday said.

Wednesday noticed the girl sitting on the ground who looked different than the other sirens.

"You catch on quick." Enid notes. "And that girl, Bianca Barclay, is the closest thing Nevermore has to royalty."

"She's basically calling you royalty." Valentina said to her girlfriend.

"Who's she?" Wednesday asks, looking at the girl sitting on the ground in front of Bianca.

"And that's Xavier Thorpe, her boyfriend." Enid said pointing to the male who was painting.

Enid ignored the question about Valentina. Wednesday gave the girl a look.

"Her name is Valentina Brock. What she is unknown to everyone except Weems, Bianca, Xavier and several others." Enid answered.

Valentina stands up and brings Bianca with her. The two roommates watch them go over to Xavier.

"The three started dating two years ago. It was a few months after Valentina joined the school. It came a shocked to most of us." Enid said and that's when Valentina looked at her. "That's weird."

"What?" Wednesday asks.

"She turned like she could hear us. But she's not a werewolf or vampire." Enid said.

"Interesting." Wednesday said.

The two watch as Bianca and Valentina kiss either side of Xavier's cheek.