SIX

Hyacinth was barely surviving any of her classes that day and while word of her almost failing class spread throughout school, news about Adeline ranking first in almost everything was the talk of the day. She could hear her roommates whisper while she entered the room, and as she sat down and removed her boots one of them went to her and said they would be moving to different dorms, they believed rooming with her would result in bad luck since they also have been failing their class since rooming with her when they excel in everything. You're just as bad as me, she thought.

As the fairies carried their bags out, she had the dormitory for herself, and she preferred it that way instead of hearing them talk about how an embarrassment I was to her mother. She laid down on her bed thinking what would her life be if she was topping her class the same way Aquil was, or maybe just the same way as Adeline. People would like to be friends with her.

She saw how everyone fawned over the princess.

She was perfect in every way; she could never compete.

Hyacinth sat right up and sat on her study table, which used to be a vanity, but she shoved all of the lotion and makeup into her old roomie's vanities. She took out a pad of parchment, it was enchanted, her father used this parchment before to send messages to different Kingdoms, he didn't need messenger birds, so it flew to the receiver itself. It was handy, so she bought tons of them, even if she had no one to write to.

She took out her quill and started to write.

And write.

And write..

And write...

She threw every parchment on the floor that turned into paper butterflies. She didn't know what to write, just like how she doesn't know who to send these letters to. She slumped on her chair and watched the paper butterflies flutter around her dormitory, she caught one and opened it. It was the first letter she made.

I am like a candle that doesn't die from its flame.

The wax builds itself again after melting.

Now I am a whole new candle ready to be burned,

Over and over again.

It was depressing. She couldn't write poems as well as her father, growing up she always sat beside her father writing romantic poems for her mother. It was in small notes that he always deliver through his servants. But he would read it in front of her first and she would always stare in awe at his father.

"Romantic isn't it, my little firecracker?" Charming smiled, his eyes twinkling with delight.

Hyacinth showed a toothy grin and pulled her way up to his table.

King Charming helped her sit properly and held her close to him

"Father, why is mother mean to you? You are her true love right? I'd like to find a prince that's exactly like you." Hyacinth said while spilling ink all over her dress.

Her father gave a hearty laugh and patted her head.

"I hope I'm still alive while you're looking for him. I'd like to meet my daughter's future slave huh?" he said. Both father and daughter shared laughs as the last candle flicked.

She crumpled the paper again and placed it down on her table, it was about to turn into a butterfly yet again but she burned it with the candle nearest to her. All of the butterflies gathered around the burning butterfly in the candle so bright that they fluttered around it like moths. Slowly, all of the butterflies burned and ignited into a large flame that scorched the side of Hyacinth's face.

And then she remembered Adeline from a while ago. She couldn't stand to be around her, Adeline's presence was intimidating. She was everything she wished she was, she was everything she wanted to become. She stared at the wild-eyed beast before her, her eyebrows always in a frown, her hair undone, and her clothes looked like she didn't wash. How could she find Ever After if her chances for one are slimmer than the preferred waist for Ever girls?

She recalled failing two classes already.

She placed last in both Princess Etiquette and Beautification.

"Smile dear! Don't smile at your prince like that! He'll think you're evil!" Professor Anemone rolled her eyes.

"Is it hard to keep a straight posture? Stop slouching, you're killing the birds!" Pollux barked.

She ranked 17 in Animal Communication, she guessed having mice as companionS isn't enough in her subject. She just bossed the poor ducklings around, thinking they would obey her the same way as the other animals in her Kingdom. She had forgotten that these are not her servants and they are animals that used to be students like her. She earned a big deal of pecking from momma duck that sent her to climb on top of the tree and kick a nest full of baby birds that were quick enough to learn how to fly when their lives depended on it. "Well at least you taught these birds how to fly, I've been trying to convince them since last week!" Princess Uma scratched her head.

She Ranked 1st in both History of Heroism and Surviving Fairy Tales, although two Top Ranks are nothing to two failed ranks. She needed to step up her game and try at least to survive until the end of the semester.