A King's Game: Chapter One

The ride was silent and miserable.

Cold wind slapped my face and blew into the cloak around my body, reminding me how exposed I was. It wasn't humiliating enough that the king hadn't offered proper clothing, but he cradled me between his arms like an infant as his stallion galloped on, and to keep from falling I was forced to cling to the man.

The trees grew thinner before we broke through the edge of the woods, and the world became a row of fields and small hills. Humble cottages dotted the landscape, with smoke pouring from their chimneys to signal life inside. Men and women and children were tending the crops, and as their king rode by they waved and bowed to show respect.

On the other side of the fields, at the end of a long dirt pathway, was a castle that could be seen clearly in the distance, and which took several minutes to reach from the treeline.

Ma's stories hinted at what a castle looked like, but when my eyes fell upon it I realized none of her words had done it justice. It was a stunning sight, so big I thought it must house hundreds of families. Towers of stone brushed against the clouds, set with dozens of arched windows that bore long flags with emblems of swords and shields. A wall encircled the building, rising high enough that climbing it would be a dangerous task, for a slip of the foot would certainly prove fatal.

There was a courtyard between the wall and castle, and it was littered with fountains and statues and miniature trees in painted pots. Ivy covered the inner face of the wall, and from the blanket of vines and leaves sprouted hundreds of pink trumpet blooms. Their fragrance filled the air, as sweet as springtime cakes, and I lifted my nose to inhale deeply, and sighed in contentment at the missed pleasure of having something nice in my nostrils.

Plainly-dressed servants scurried across the yard, their arms heavy with baskets and chests, and they paid little mind to the incoming troop of knights, only pausing to give a slight curtsy or bow as their king passed by.

Without a word of introduction, I was taken from the stallion by several old female servants. They led me silently through a passage on the side of the castle, down several drafty halls, until we reached a room that I understood was to be mine for as long as I remained under the king's care. The lavishness of the place is hard to describe, for there was far too much to take in all at once. My eyes roamed over every corner, finding no spot untouched by objects or furniture that were designed for comfort. There was even a separate attached room that was intended solely for bathing and relieving myself.

Such luxury, Credence!

I was guided into a deep tub filled with warm water, and the servants poured fragrant oils in after me to soothe the aches of riding. This was nothing like the baths of home, where the water was always cold and the tub was too short. Here there were bubbles and flowered soap that smelled like the gardens outside. Even as Champion of the Pit the offerings hadn't been as extravagant, for here there were servants to clean the dirt from my skin and brush my hair.

Their calloused hands were determined but not gentle, and they scrubbed me until I was sore before pulling through the tangles on my head, with such a furious pace that I imagined they were angry with my body. They dotted powder on my nose and cheeks and finished with a drop of perfumed oil behind my ears.

I was dressed in loose velvet and satin, which laid like a cloud against my skin.

A looking glass was brought before me so I could see their fine work.

I didn't look like myself, or at least the way I remembered. Staring back was not a boy, but a young man. He had a weary fatigue under his eyes and his mouth was set in a scowl. I pulled on my mouth and stuck my tongue out to make a funny expression, and heard the servants scoff and cluck their tongues.