Congregatio Luporum: Chapter Four

As my host, Ragnor led me to his home, where I would live for the duration of my stay in the colony. 

I rudely assumed it would be something akin to a cave, for that is the sort of house I believed wolves would occupy.

I was wrong. It was a gorgeous dwelling built into the hollowed trunk of an enormous tree, with the smell of soap and flowers wafting from the open golden-glassed windows. The inside was larger than I guessed, with several rooms for the family, and even included an indoor washroom.

Here I met his wife, Celene, and their three children, two young girls called Kae and Ginger, and a toddler boy called Posco.

The family provided me with my own room and bed, and a chest with two sets of clothing. Their hospitality instantly put me at ease, though the continuous energy and clamor of the children was something I had to adjust to.

By the time I had washed in the bath Celene drew for me, the sun was beginning to set. A low horn blew outside and Ragnor told me it was the call for dinner.

"We eat meals together," Ragnor explained as he and Celene struggled to wash their children's hands and faces, "to catch up on the news of the day or simply enjoy the company of our friends."

I half expected the dinner to be similar to the king's dining hall, where eating was a noisy and gluttonous affair, with the council seated at a special table like royalty. An image came to my mind of ravenous animals snapping their jaws at each other over scraps of meat.

I'm pleased to say it was nothing of the sort. There was no hall where people sat shoulder-to-shoulder in a tight crowd. Instead, the colony dined outside on three long tables with benches on either side. There was no special table for the council, who sat together among their people, but there was an empty space left between Lady Bruto and Phelan, which I, as the guest of honor, was meant to occupy for my first dinner.

It was like joining the world's largest family gathering, where everyone loved and welcomed each other. Platters and bowls and pitchers were passed down the tables several times, and because no one took more than they needed, no one was left hungry. Food was neither scarce nor wasted. It was, perhaps, one of the most civil meals I'd ever been part of.

All eyes were on me as I took my seat, and it was clear that the colony was keen to know me.

Midway through dinner, Lady Bruto stood and tapped her fork against her cup, creating a dull ring that brought all conversation to a halt.

"Tonight, we welcome a new guest of honor. This is Josiah, found by Ragnor and his hunting party." She looked at me. "We are eager to hear your story."

It wasn't a command, and I didn't feel any pressure to explain things I wasn't comfortable with. Storytelling, I discovered, was one of the colony's many forms of entertainment, and tonight I was the main act.

But where to begin, Credence, with a tale like mine?

I looked at my hosts sitting across the table. Ragnor and Celene were smiling, with three children bouncing on their knees.

"Go on," Ragnor gently urged, "tell us your story."

"And when you come to the part with me," Phelan interjected, "please be nice."

Scattered chuckles followed his plea. Every face was friendly, and the mood was so pleasant that I found myself more than willing to share the details of my life.

I briefly mentioned Pa's death but left out the details of a demon and Ma's magic, and began with the first day we went into the woods. By the time I came to our encounter with the bog woman, I'd been interrupted several times by both children and adults, who had a range of questions. The most frequently asked was why two children were sent into the world alone.