Ambrosia: Chapter Two

For over an hour, the wolf begged to be set free.

Through its minimal language it pleaded to feel the wind and sun on its fur, but the cat's words had struck something within me. I realized that, as shaming as it was to hear, I had been letting the wolf tumble frivolously for too long.

Now it had become a spoiled child, and it threw a tantrum of whimpers and howls that rang in my head and interrupted my thoughts.

You unfair! it growled. Me move fast. You let me!

"You've had time for fun," I argued out loud, "but we need to start thinking about serious things, like where we're going to live and what life we're going to have."

Me have good life. Me play.

"No. You've played for days."

It fun!

"We should probably start developing your language, too."

Me run fast!

"You do."

More fast than boy. Feel good?

I smiled. "It does. But there will be time to run in the future."

Trapped.

"We won't get trapped again."

Fight traps.

"Yes, you fight very well. You're the Champion of the Pit, aren't you?"

Inside, I could feel the wolf beaming with pride. I sighed, trying to collect my thoughts to form a plan. 

"I don't care what the cat says, we need to look for Credence."

There was a pause before the wolf answered.

Me come out when want. Boy say no, me eat gift.

"That won't be a nice thing to do. If you eat the tapestry, I'll be angry and we won't be friends."

Sadness took hold of my heart. My words hurt the wolf's feelings. I expected it to throw another fit, to rail against me and struggle to break free, but after another moment of silence it whispered:

Me want friend boy.

"I want to be friends with you, too. But sometimes we have to work instead of playing."

It struck me how strangely similar to Pa I sounded. How many times had he said those words to me? To a child's mind, the idea that life had to be balanced between work and play seemed unfair. I was uneased by my sternness, but it was quickly replaced with pride. If Pa had been there, I know he would have been proud of me, too.

Me help boy.

"And I will let you play a little at the proper time."

No much little.

I laughed. "No, not too little."

How me help?

"With your speed, you can cover twice the distance I can. You can start by helping with that."

The wolf raced through the trees, and to its credit it did not pause to sniff potential food or writhe on the ground. I urged it to remember the scent that brought us to the tavern, and search for any trace in the air or on the ground.

After a few hours there was nothing to be found by either ear or nose, and the wolf stopped to catch its breath.

No good, it said and I could feel its despair for having failed the task I'd given.