03 - Romeo and Juliet is a Toxic Love Story

I sit down at the lunch table I sat at last year: the loser one. These two boys- Eli and Demetri- will probably show up sooner or later. We've sat at the same lunch table every year I've gone to school around here. We don't talk to each other. We hardly acknowledge each other. We just all exist at the loser table. It's just how it is.

The first day of school always sucks. I hate not knowing where I'm going or who I'll have classes with. I recognize almost everybody that's been in my classes. I'm pretty sure they have no clue who I am though. I don't have any friends here, so there's no one to look forward to. I don't care. All I care about here is my GPA and my scholarship opportunities. I just want to get into a good college so that maybe I can get a good job and turn things around for both myself and Xalvador. Other than that, I don't give a shit about this place.

Unsurprisingly, Demetri and Eli sit a seat away from me at the table, the former giving me one of those white boy smiles before turning back to his friend. Eli waves a little with a shy smile. I give a small wave in return, then focus back on my mediocre food and my story. I've read it a million times. It's fun to analyze or even just read it to make fun of the characters and their stupidity.

"Is it cool if I sit here?" somebody asks as they walk up to the table. I glance up. Miguel Diaz?

"Ooh, sorry table's really blowing up right now," Demetri says, "I can put you on the waitlist, but it's probably gonna be next semester at the earliest."

He's always been a sarcastic little shit. It's slightly humorous sometimes.

"Okay.." Miguel says, shaking his head as he starts to walk away.

"No, I'm kidding, sit," Demetri says. Miguel sits down next to Eli. I keep my eyes hidden in my book, but my attention is not on the words written on the pages.

"Miguel," Miguel says, introducing himself.

"Demetri. This is Eli," Demetri returns, "he's a man of few words."

I don't mind that. I'm the same way. At least Eli has Demetri to hang out with and vice versa... I guess the fault is on me. I don't really try to make friends. I mean, I don't necessarily avoid people, I just don't make an effort to put myself out there and introduce myself to random people. That's too nerve racking.

"Dude, don't torture yourself," Demetri says to Miguel as Samantha LaRusso and Yasmin walk by, "those are the rich girls."

He's right. Yasmine makes fun of my hair a lot... I have curls that are crazy more often than not because I can't always afford the good products I need to get them in proper order. My accent has been on the table too. My eyebrows. My generic clothes. My lack of friends. The fact that I'm usually found with a book... she and Kyler have been king and queen of my torment ever since I got here. And somehow I'm the reason they passed history last year? Needless to say, she's not my favorite person. I don't know why Demetri drools over her so much.

"Do you ever talk to them or..."

"Oh yeah! All the time. We hang out after school, make out, give each other hand jobs," Demetri says sarcastically, "Eli here is the homecoming king. Gets laid more than anyone. Isn't that right, Eli?" he continues, causing Eli to smile,