07 - Least Favorite Child

slight TW- mention of traumatic events

"Mr LaRusso!" I exclaim, finding him in the break room as I walk in to clock in.

"Renée!" he says back, matching my energy with a smile, "you know you can call me Daniel, right?"

He's funny.

"Absolutely not," I respond, "anyway, guess what happened while I was leaving school today!"

"What happened?"

"Kyler, the guy who's been bullying me since I moved here, was harassing me, but I totally kicked his ass!" I say, unable to contain my excitement. I've never been able to say those words before. Although I probably shouldn't swear in front of my boss... mierda... Mr LaRusso looks concerned.

"What-"

"But that wasn't even the best part!" I continue, almost bouncing where I stand.

"There's more?"

"Yeah! At first I was just trying to defend myself with the usual techniques, you know, punches, knee strikes, all that, but then he was fighting back and I kind of panicked and guess what I did!"

"What did you do..?"

"I hung up the coveralls and jacked the car and, most importantly, I waxed on and waxed off! It was insane! And it's like I wasn't even thinking about any of it, I just... did it!" I say. His mood shifts entirely as all of the concern he had seconds ago is replaced by a look of happiness.

"Really?!" he asks. I nod, grinning. He grins back.

"See? I told you to trust the process, and look where you are now? Able to defend yourself without a second thought. I know you had your doubts- believe me, I did too when I was first learning- but you stuck with it and see how much you learned? You're a natural. I'm proud of you, Renée."

I can't stop grinning. I was a little afraid he'd get mad at me for getting into a fight, but his reaction is better than any I could've asked for. I'm proud of you, Renée...

"Gracias... it- it means a lot..." I admit, smiling gently, albeit a little awkwardly. Luckily, he smiles back.

"Don't mention it," he replies. I will be mentioning it to Xalvador, and maybe even Sensei Lawrence and Miguel when I get there. I want them to know. With one last exchanged grin, I clock in, then head off to the garage to do my job.

——

I finished up work on a car that came in towards the end of yesterday. It was pretty bad. Drives great now. This day has been pretty good, lunch aside. I stopped by my apartment to grab a container of celebratory cookies for when I tell Sensei Lawrence and Miguel. We can celebrate Miguel's lunch victory and my smaller after school victory. It's less impressive in comparison to what Miguel did... but to me... to me it means everything. Kyler has been harassing me for years and maybe now he'll finally leave me alone... all because of what Sensei Lawrence and Mr LaRusso taught me. And I hope Sensei is as proud of me as Mr LaRusso was. That would mean the world- to have his approval. I just want him to know that I can use all the things he teaches me. I can fight. I'm not useless anymore. I don't need to rely on my older brother to fight for me. I'm just really grateful.