06 - Two-Headed Snake

I pull up to the address that Mr LaRusso gave me. This seems right. This is the nicest house I've ever seen... wow... I put the car in park, then get out. I think I'm pretty well prepared. I've had a couple Cobra Kai lessons, so I'm not completely incompetent. I know how to punch and Sensei Lawrence helped me with my front kicks and crescent kicks and how to not get hit- well, sort of. I dodged most of the baseballs. I wonder what Mr LaRusso will teacher me- and how he'll go about it.

My hands shake as I move to ring the doorbell. I hate knocking on doors and ringing doorbells... which is why I usually try to avoid it. Come on, Santiago, a real Cobra wouldn't be afraid of knocking on a damn door. I suck up my anxieties and ring the doorbell, praying somebody answers so I don't have to do it again. Answering my prayer, Mr LaRusso appears in the doorway within a few seconds.

"Glad you could make it! We'll be out in the front, just let me grab something right quick," he says. I nod as an 'okay', then wait by the door until he comes back with a bucket, sponges, some soap, rags, and a grin on his face. ¿Qué..? I'm a little confused as to what any of these things- except maybe the grin- have to do with karate.

"You drove your car here, right?"

"Yeah, why? Was I not supposed to? I'm sorry, I-"

"Slow down, Renée, it's alright. Perfect, actually. Let's go," he says, and we walk out to where I have my car parked, "you're gonna make this thing shine. I'll fill the bucket with soap and water. You'll wash the car. Sound good?"

Uhh... ¿por qué? Why?

"Uhh-"

"Great, I'll be right back," he says, leaving the sponges and rags with me while he goes off with bucket and the soap. What's going on? I thought he was gonna teach me karate. Why am I cleaning my car? He comes back after a minute or so, setting the bucket at my feet.

"Alright. Get to work," he says. Okay..? I look at him with confusion, but do as he says, picking up a sponge, dipping it in the soapy water. I start washing the car, but he quickly stops me.

"Woah woah woah," Mr LaRusso says, putting a hand on mine to stop me, "first off, you forgot the second sponge, and second, do it like this. Circle with the right, circle with the left, there you go, just like that. You're doing good already. I'll leave you to it."

What the hell is going on right now? Mr LaRusso walks off before I can ask him anything. Oh well... I guess at least I'll have a clean car...

——

I finished washing the car. I'm not sure what I was supposed to have learned, but it's clean now. Maybe that was like... a warm up, and now we're gonna get into the real karate.

"Mr LaRusso?" I call, "I finished washing the car!"

"Great! Looks nice and clean," he says, "now onto the next step: waxing."

Wait, there's more..?