Chapter 17

I watched as she performed her heart out, it was a show in Oakland so she was happy just being there. One thing about her: she loves California. I know she was born in Oakland but her love for the bay area was something special.

She thanked the crowd and ran off stage.

I waited for her to get done with her crew and all and then she came over to me with a huge smile on her face.

"You did so good." I said, praising her performance. She hugged me and thanked me for the compliment. She then stood on her tiptoes then kissed me quickly.

"I'm taking you somewhere." I said, not giving her anymore information.

I went back to the hotel with her hoping everyone there did what I asked. The same person I talked to was at the desk and he gave a thumbs up, mouthing, "good luck."

I nervously tapped my hand against my leg. It caught their attention and they grabbed my hand, silently calming me.

As we got in the elevator she made me face her and asked, "what's wrong?" I turned and acted confused, "what do you mean?" I asked.

She cocked her head to the side as if she was saying, don't act dumb. "I'm serious, nothing is wrong."

She held up her pinkie and I interlocked mine in hers, hoping that what I was about to do would make up for my lameness. She was satisfied with my answer and she turned back to the elevator doors taking my hand into hers.

As soon as the elevator door opened I asked, "can I get the key card?"

Kehlani looked up at me in confusion. "For what?"

I held my hand out and said, " 'Cause you don't open doors when I'm around." She stared at me. It was a stare I'd seen before.

She'd often flirt with her eyes. When she was trying to get me to do something. she'd stare. When she was trying to make me nervous, she'd stare. When she was bored and just wanted to poke fun, she'd stare.

"Nah, don't do that." I said, trying not to fold. Somehow she stared even more intensely. "Stop." I said dragging the 'O'.

"I don't know what you're talking about." She said innocently.

I laughed and leaned down for a kiss. This kiss had an ulterior motive though, as soon as I knew she folded I reached in her back pocket and grabbed the key. "Thanks babe." I said as I slid into my pocket.

She hit me in my chest and laughed a little.

I grabbed her hand, pulling her a little so that she walked in front of me. With both hands I covered her eyes walking slowly being sure not to make her run into anything.

"Kinky." She said, making both of us laugh.

As I took my hand down to get the key from my pocket I said, "don't peek." She didn't say anything, she just put her hand over mine. I opened the door revealing a "candle" lit path, rose petals and a framed picture of us that wwe took when we'd first met.

When we crossed the threshold I told her to wait there and I raced to the end of the path grabbing the flowers I bought and then I said, "you can open your eyes now!"

I heard her gasp then the door shutting. She rounded the corner and looked up at me in surprise.

I cleared my throat, "Umm, you know I'm not one for grand gestures, but as I've gotten to know you, I came to realize you deserve nothing less than grand. You are a great mother, you're a great friend, and an overall great person. Since I met you, you've become my person. It's been like a month and some change but no matter how I'm feeling you're the one I want to talk to. You respect me and how I feel no matter what and you ask for nothing but that same respect." When I saw her tear up I tried to finish the speech, because I hate to see her cry so I sat the flowers down and grabbed her hands. "I say all of this to say no matter rain or shine I want you to be here with me and I can't imagine you only being with me as just a friend. So, Kehlani Ashley Parrish, will you be my girlfriend?"

Without an answer she kissed me passionately. It was like our first kiss. It was filled with passion.

"Sooo?" I asked.

"Yes, you idiot." Relief flooded through me as we kissed again and I pulled away first, excited to give her all the things I bought.

We ended up in bed talking about all the things we'd do before she went back on tour. That was her last show for almost a month making it perfect timing as we'd get to spend the next few weeks together.

We caught up on life. Of course we talked on the phone but it was different from talking in person.

She sat up on her elbow, lying on her side. "I have a big question for you." she started.

"Bigger than the one I just asked." I asked, thinking I just asked the biggest of the night.

"Way bigger." She started. "I already talked to her dad and I wanted to know would you like to meet my daughter?" She asked calmly.

I choked a little. "You want me to meet her. I mean I like kids but I don't know if I'm good with kids. What if-."

She cut me off, stopping me from rambling, "Baby, I promise you will be fine. She's not a people person but if you treat her as good as you treat me it won't be a problem. How about we start off with a phone call, you don't even have to meet her in person yet."

I took a deep breath. "No, I can meet her in person."

She beamed happily and gave me a quick kiss. "Really?"

"Really."

With that we loosely planned our next few weeks. I was happy to be with her.

Damn, I have a girlfriend.

Hiiiii. I'm writing the next chapter already so it'll be out soon. Ik I say that all the time but I'm not lying this time. Love yall🫶🏾

P.S. do y'all like the book cover or should I change it?