Prologue

"Keep your notes safe and don't let any spill out of your locker. I'll text you after class" your black haired classmate mumbled to you, patting you on the shoulder as you gave him a curt nod, opening your locker and stuffing the folder full of papers riddled with magical symbols and words, your eyes sweeping the hallway for signs of anyone else.

Minoru was appalled the first time he saw you spellcasting in an empty classroom a few months ago, his curiosity concerning magical abilities became desire and soon, you became his trusty sidekick, granting him protection with magic and sometimes even power increment.

It was a strange thing at the moment, but he always felt like he should have been able to cast magic, however, you tested him several times and his magical affinity was below average.

He didn't have a single special bone in his body that would've made him capable of wielding magic, but you believed that someday he'd be able to use magic, all of his mental training would not be in vain, it couldn't.

And you would make sure that it wouldn't be in vain.

--

You focused your magical energy, grasping a small jotter in your left hand as your right hand drew sigils and let them float around you, the glyph you stood on fluctuating as Minoru started slamming his hands on the piano keys as he had made a mistake.

"Ex hoc pronuntio te incolumem et intactum ab iis qui te laedere volunt. Hoc est primum et ultimum iuramentum-  Minoru-san, don't make me screw this up, it's your protective charm."

The light that had begun to emanate from your body immediately dissipated, the pendant in your hand now engraved with a protective seal as you forcibly finished the spell.

Opening your eyes, you glared at the black haired boy, tossing the pendant at him and slamming your jotter shut.

"If I somehow messed that up, I would have punched you, I swear-"

"Your tiny fingers would break, (Name). My body is almost as tough as iro- ow, ow, ow, ow, ow!" you glared down at him in disgust, twisting his ear and pointing to the piano.

"Don't you have moonlight sonata to practice, you dumbass??? Get to it, I'm going to go put proper clothes on." you shoved his head, rolling your eyes as you gathered your spare papers, leaving one on the desk for him.

"You can reevaluate yourself with that after we're done tonight. Who knows what might happen?"  you encouraged him, a small smile on your face.

Sliding the classroom door open, you took a step outside and bumped into a female classmate, your eyes narrowing at her as you shut the door to hide Minoru from her.

"Hi, (last/name). It's been ages since we last saw, I mean, I was at home for a while, but I-"

"Nishino, what do you want?" you asked, correcting your posture and holding your jotter behind your back as you glared at the slightly taller female, not buying her innocent act.

"I was just saying hi to an old friend, come on. What's the harm? Do you wanna catch up? Maybe go shopping this weekend-"

"I can't. I have plans, enjoy your weekend though and be careful on your way home." you brushed past her, bumping your shoulder with hers and nearly gasping as you saw flashes of what was to come this evening.

Akane tied up, blood splattered on the floor, an empty building, Akane screaming for help, her voice muffled by the gag in her mouth, a blade coming down towards her trembling form.....