Chapter 1

On a moonless night, you opened the doors that led to your balcony, adjusting the straps of your linen chemise as you stepped out of your room, staring up at the sky for what seemed like hours.

“Where..... Where the hell am I?”

Aria! Where are you? It's time for the ceremony. Don't you want to find out the limit of your magic?” a voice called from inside the mansion.

You spun around to peer back into the hallway, trying to catch a glimpse of her before she came into your room herself, not wanting anyone invading your privacy.

“I’ll be right out, Mom!” you yelled back, slipping your cloak back on and grabbing your simple wooden staff on your way out of the room.

It had been five years since the ceremony and despite the fame you gained for being the most renowned mage in this lifetime, you'd never been lonelier.

You had lost your family when you were on a mission away from the Midgar Kingdom for a few weeks.

You returned to your home emptier than ever and Iris wouldn't go into details about why they were targeted in the first place; it made you upset and for the moment, you could do nothing but reject her invitations to balls or even send her away when she came to see you.

Once more, you were a recluse.

°

“It's been a while since I arrived in this world and honestly, it's the only thing I ever wanted! The sword fighting, the skills I've picked up from Claire and I can even use magic!!” Cid muttered to himself, watching his older sister dash at him.

Slowing down the flow of time around him with magic, he quickly moved into three positions that he could've intercepted her strike with, or parried it even.

‘But..... If I do that, I'll blow my cover.’ smirking to himself, he returned to his place across her, resuming his mid-level squat in stance and pretending to block after, only for him to get catapulted straight into the stream of water behind him from the pure strength behind her attack.

‘Poor thing.... Doesn't even know who she's up against, she might be strong in her own way, but I'm stronger by far’   he chuckled and after getting to his feet, he gave a respectful bow, voicing how he one day hoped to be as strong as his big sister.

Rolling his eyes, he sheathed his sword and retreated back towards the Kagenou family home, his eyes set ahead as he let his magical energy flare for only a moment.

As if.

“What do you mean I have to go to school? And why did you bust my mansion door down??” you eyed Alexia over your shoulder as you painted a pentagram on the ground with the (untouched) red paint leftover from renovating your house.

“Sorry about the door, I just got a little carried away-”

“You’re fixing that the next time you come here. In fact, you're fixing it tomorrow-”

She clasped her hands together “As the student in charge of your training and the only princess of the Midgar Kingdom you will speak with, let's go to school together.”