Chapter 14

[A/N : Am I early? Yes. Do I regret writing this chapter before the due date? No. Will I regret it after reading some comments? Maybe a little. But have this cringy, fluffy chapter with a little spoiler at the end and enjoy it!]

“I.... I know I shouldn't have vanished just like that, I-”

“Shut up.” Cid glowered at you, dragging you down the halls and into an empty room which so happened to be the room where you wrote your grimoires, the boy slamming the door shut and backing you up against it, his eyes red as he took in your appearance from head to toe.

Blinking owlishly at him in surprise when he snapped at you, your lips lifted at the corners as you reached a hand up to cup his cheek, the boy instantly melting into your touch, his hand grasping onto yours, keeping it pressed tight to his cheek.

“You calmed down yet?” You asked, shutting the door and walking away from him, a smile on your face when he held onto your hand and followed behind you, his expression somber as he wondered where you were taking him.

Standing by the bookshelves, you stretched a hand up, one of your leather bound grimoires falling out of the shelf and into your hand. Flipping the pages with one hand, you glanced back at your best friend who held onto your other hand and decided to let him be.

“These spells are so long, I need to shorten them. Don't you think?” You asked, looking back at him over your shoulder as you snapped the book shut.

He stared blankly at you, looking away when you locked eyes with him. “I thought we were supposed to be talking.”

“We are. We'll get to that in a second. Let's sit somewhere comfy, hmm?” You guided him towards your conjuring corner, past your alchemy table and to the sofa in the library.

“I, uh..... I wanted to apologize for running away like a little bitch. I felt really out of place surrounded by those girls in Shadow Garden and I didn't want to admit that maybe I was a little too weak without having the necessary skills which I still mostly lack and...... And I'm sorry.” You cut yourself off, offering a small smile as you stared up at the boy who refused to sit down.

Sinking into the soft cushions on the sofa, Cid grasped onto his hair, looking down at the ground before glancing back at you, frowning. “I thought you'd finally had enough of me and decided to run away so I couldn't convince you to stay friends with me. I was-”

“I would never. I mean, I'm not going anywhere, I'm right here, Minoru.” You interjected, cupping his cheeks in your hands and directing his gaze towards yours.

“Why would you even feel inadequate around the seven? They're just soldiers, you..... You mean a lot more to me.” he murmured, his eyes shut as he leaned his forehead against yours.

Sighing, you retracted your hands, folding them in your lap as you looked straight ahead, your face warm. “I felt ordinary compared to them. They always want to be around you and they can do that whenever they want-”

“Oh my goodness, this is about Alpha and Beta, isn't it?? Alpha is just the leader of the seven and she was my first soldier. Beta is the strategist and that's all. We're not even that close!” Cid groaned, reaching over to take your hands in his, throwing his hands up in exasperation when you pulled them out of his grasp.

Shaking your head, you shifted backwards, suddenly feeling shy at his incessant staring. “I can't compare to them and it's not fair if I ask you to stay away from them. I can't compete with them, Minoru.”

“I would never ask you to do that. Tell me what you want. Talk to me, because you have no idea how angry I was at myself that I couldn't find you-”