Four

The two of them walked to the office with no sounds other than their shoes on the floor. That, and Ryusei's whistling. Sae found she didn't really mind it. It made for a nice soundtrack, and it's not something that demanded a response, so that was nice too.

Because she didn't really know what to say to this girl. She often found it hard to talk to people when she didn't understand the power dynamic they shared, and for the first time in her life, that is exactly the shaky ground she found herself on.

"Well, here it is," Sae said, deciding that was harmless enough. She slid the squad list through the slot on Coach Anri's door. "Not that you'll need it or anything. Coach Anri shows up to the odd practice or whatever, but you'll barely ever see her."

"Cool," Ryusei said. But she watched Sae the whole time. "So, what now?"

Sae paused. "Well, I'm heading home now."

"Cool," Ryusei said again. "Need a lift?"

"You drive?" Sae asked.

"No," Ryusei said. "Well, not no. I drive whenever I get a chance, but it's not like I have a car or a license or anything."

Sae wasn't able to figure out if this girl was kidding or not. "Then why'd you offer me a lift?"

"I meant I'll carry you home," Ryusei said. "If you want."

"Why would you do that?" Sae asked.

"You're a little dumb, aren't you?" Ryusei asked her.

Sae took a jerky step back. "No, I'm not."

"It would be good practice," Ryusei said with a shrug.

She didn't make any move for her. The shrug dropped off and then they were just looking at each other in an empty hallway. Maybe it was instinct or a bad, unbroken habit, but she started to taste the power struggle between them, and noticed there was an undeniable sweetness to it. It was unfamiliar to her, but that's what made it fun.

"You're weird," Sae said. She didn't have any qualms about it. If Ryusei could call her dumb, surely weird was on the table.

"Weird?" Ryusei said.

She laughed. It filled the whole hall, reverberated against the windows in the classroom doors. The kind of laugh that invited you to join it, even if you didn't fully understand what was so funny.

When she was finished, her pink eyes went back to Sae. "You don't think I'm a psycho?"

Sae was about to shake her head, not fully understanding the emphasis, but then she did. That's what Rin had called her. It's not a good idea. That bitch is a psycho. Sae wondered briefly if she'd overheard, but she wasn't dumb, and that would be dumb. Of course Rin wouldn't have any issue speaking her thoughts directly to her face, even if they'd just met.

"Not really," Sae said.

"You are friendlier," Ryusei decided. "I think so, anyways."

She then turned on her heels and started walking down the hallway. Sae had no choice but to follow.

Rin had made good on her threat and left with the car, just like Sae knew she would of. Still, she checked the parking lot anyways. Just in case. Surely nothing to do with the fact that Ryusei seemed to be trailing her. She didn't carry Sae home, but after little exchange, Sae decided to let her walk her. Her house wasn't far from school. Fifteen minutes. Maybe twenty. In other words, not a big deal.

Sae didn't really know why this girl wanted to walk her home. Ryusei had claimed to live in the same direction, but seeing as she couldn't name any of the streets or seem to recognize any landmarks they passed, Sae didn't really believe her. More than that, they continued not to really talk. They just walked, side by side, every so often brushing arms and not commenting on it.