Twelve

It was with rather shocking ease that Sae drifted back into consciousness, especially considering how late they'd been up and how little sleep she knew she'd gotten. Still, she awoke fully rested and entirely serene.

That was, until she became painfully aware of how her sheets were pressed right up against her body, all of it and everywhere, because her meticulously chosen cute girl pyjamas had been tossed to the floor or tangled up at the foot of the bed and she had not thought to go looking for them before she'd passed out.

In her peripheral, she could see Ryusei's bare, muscled, tanned back, pieces of blonde and pink hair hanging over it, dishevelled from both the bleach it was subjected to and the night they'd just had. Sae took a minute to admire the sight. She hadn't yet fully come back to her body, and so she briefly wondered if she should brush the hair out of the way, run her hand across the skin, press her cheek to it.

Then, her eyes snapped open all the way and her brain seemed to come online. Holy fuck, her brain started screaming. The fucking sleepover.

She sat up, suddenly motivated to get a view of the floor and where her pyjamas might be. The sheet fell off of her. She yanked it up and held it against her chest like this was a bad movie and she was waking up after a drunken mistake. She didn't even have alcohol to blame it on. She wasn't hungover. No headache or nausea in sight. Her memories were fully intact, too.

Though her jaw did hurt. A lot.

Eventually she decided, fuck it. It's not like any of this is a mystery at this point and I need to get dressed.

Before she could get up, Ryusei's arm was jutting out and her hand was clasped back around her wrist. Sae nearly shrieked. She hadn't even noticed her roll over. She didn't even know she was awake.

"Uh-uh," Ryusei said.

"What the fuck do you mean, uh-uh?" Sae whisper hissed, like the two of them were still in the basement, and one of the other girls could wake up anytime.

Ryusei pulled her by the wrist and back into herself. It wasn't spectacularly hard to do. Sae half-heartedly thrashed and squirmed, but Ryusei won and got an arm and leg around her. Clearly, she hadn't put any thought into finding her clothes before she'd passed out either.

"We're not doing this," she said, shaking her lazy head against the pillow, her pink eyes barely half open, still heavy with sleep. She had Sae in a tight grip, despite the fact that she'd stopped fighting.

"Doing what?" Sae asked flatly.

"This gay panic thing," Ryusei said with a lazy laugh. "That's over now, alright?"

"I'm not gay," Sae said.

"Could have fooled me," Ryusei said. Sae didn't really understand that comment. Ryusei didn't offer elaboration. Instead, she said, "Kiss me."

"No," Sae said, shaking her head, pulling away from the attempt.

There were so many reasons to resist this. Her mouth was dry and her tongue was numb. She needed to get dressed and back downstairs. A shower wouldn't hurt either, come to think of it. She had cheerleaders to lie to and cook waffles for. None of the reasons even remotely approached anything like I don't want to.

But what she decided on was, "You haven't brushed your teeth yet."

"Oh, whatever," Ryusei said. She opened her eyes just enough to make it clear she was rolling them. "I taste like you."

Then, she kissed her anyways. Sae didn't fight her. It was true. Mostly.

Sae grimaced anyways. Ryusei pulled back and started laughing, as loud as if they were the only two people in the house, clearly not at all worried that they would be stumbled upon. She whipped the sheet and comforter right off of her bare body and stood without reservation. She stretched a little, up above her head, side to side, so incredibly shamelessly. Sae watched her in much the same way. Her body was still so perfect. The night had only amplified that opinion.