Part 6

Callie:
The final stretch of high school comes quicker than I would have liked. A few months ago, I couldn't wait for it to be over, but things change. I turned eighteen, aced all my finals, and graduated high school. Now, I have just about a week until I have to be out of the house and somewhere new. I've had June over practically every day since I told her. She's been helping me pack and figure out what I need versus what I don't. She convinced me to tell her parents about it, and thankfully, they kept it within us and didn't go talk to my parents about how shitty they are.

Monica and Peter also convinced me to let them buy me a new phone and help me pay for my own data plan until I can cover it myself. So as of now, I have a phone with my own plan, a suitcase filled with all my favorite clothes and other necessities, a large duffle bag of a bit more clothes, shoes, a phone charger, and a bunch of cash rolled up that I saved from working at Roaster Room (having to quit that job hurt more than I thought it would).

"You can stay with me," June offers for the millionth time as we pack the last of my things into my bags.

"You know why I can't."

"I don't, actually. You have no real reason not to."

"June, I can't, okay? I can't do that to your family."

"You wouldn't be doing any harm. Mom and Dad would love to have you, they want you to stay with us. Please."

I can hear the desperation in her voice, but I just can't. It wouldn't be right. "I'm sorry," I finally say after a moment of processing the hurt in her voice.

"Fine. Then let me stay the night. Please."

"You've been staying every night. Do your parents not want you home?"

"No, because they know this is important. I'm staying tonight. And every night until you go. I'm not wasting a second."

I can't help but crack a smile. "Okay," I surrender.

When I still don't look at her, she lays a hand on my thigh. "Callie."

I look up.

"If you really can't stay with me, then I want something else."

"Okay."

"I wanna be official."

"Official?"

"You're my best friend. And you always will be, no matter what. But we've been dancing around it for a while. I just don't wanna say goodbye without finally making you mine." She drops her head. "I waited too long."

I reach out and lift her chin, stroking her skin softly. "I want nothing more than that. I always have."

"Yeah?" she sniffles.

"Yeah. But I'm leaving for who knows how long. I don't want you to be tied down to someone you can't physically have. I want you to have freedom."

June jerks away from me, shoving my hand away. "I don't give a fuck! If I wanted 'freedom', I wouldn't be here begging you to stay or pathetically begging you to date me! I'm very aware that you're leaving. But I don't want anyone else, I want you." She aggressively shoves me back with both hands. She starts to cry. "We don't need to be fucking every night for me to desperately need and want you. I have been falling in love with you since I was old enough to understand what love is. If you don't want me, just say it, don't give me bullshit excuse—"

"I do. I want you. But I just want you to think about it. If we start now, our whole relationship will start without me being here."

"I don't care about that. You know why? Because it won't last forever. I would rather have you now before you leave than maybe get you if you come back."